Tacho use and non use?

T14EES T14UNK

Can anybody explain the legalities and practicalities of using a tacho.

I realise this is often misinterpreted and I am aware of the basic requirements and exemptions etc.

What happens if I got a tacho fitted to my 3.5t truck which normally pulls a chipper/trailer combo, within 50km radius (therefore no need for tacho) but have a tacho fitted so that I can pull a trailer of chip or logs on occasional times.

Once fitted, does the tacho have to be used ALL of the time or can it just be ignored for the occasions that it is exempt.

Or, is it just easier to use it all the time now that they are digital, as we will never have an issue with driving hrs in our working day.

Hope that all made sense and someone has a nice simple answer. 😊

From what someone once told me. If you pull a trailer during a week use tacho all that week.

If its just a work only vehicle its probably easier to use all the time. But if you pop to shop at the weekend and nights you need a way out.

The chap on this thread checks it now and again and sorts such questions out.http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/arb-trucks/41316-trailer-towing-b-b-e-licence-rules-explained.html

Should be a leisure mode you can select on them really. But it would be abused of course. Which the jobsworths would have less fun and income.

A digital tacho records everything regardless of card in or out, switch it to out of range when not being used. When you insert the card it will automatically switch back but you have to manually change to out of range. The tacho will ask you to input any differences manually but I keep manual time sheets to show out of range driving & other work, this is also a legal requirement to keep 30 days worth in the vehicle.

A digital tacho records everything regardless of card in or out, switch it to out of range when not being used. When you insert the card it will automatically switch back but you have to manually change to out of range. The tacho will ask you to input any differences manually but I keep manual time sheets to show out of range driving & other work, this is also a legal requirement to keep 30 days worth in the vehicle.

Ok. I'm a bit closer to understanding😁

If you come under EU regs at any time in a fixed week (week) which is sunday midnight to sunday midnight then all other work done in that week must legally be officially recorded

Easiest official records are to use separate analogue card or digi printout paper and make a spate record for each day worked with your name date start and finish time on each

As an alternative you can use the tacho and select - out of scope

If during the same day you do some EU regs driving and some not then the out of scope really comes into its own to make clear what is what

After 29 calendar days those separate other work records can be binned

Edited by ROG.