RHI payments on Solar Drying

arboriculturist

Solar drying looks an attractive proposition , as you can claim the RHI throughout the summer months.

Getting the insulated setup correct is more complex.

Not sure if RENEWABLE JOHN ever got the time to commission his plans?

Has anyone experience of this concept on the Forum?

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Edited by arboriculturist

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would seem to me, that kiln drying wood significantly in advance of its proposed use as firewood is defeating the object somewhat?

The "advantages" of kiln drying, that you can reduce the moisture content to under 20% in short time, resulting in the ability to sell the end product to someone who can use it immediately are negated when you dry the wood and then put it outside/undercover in the air, as the wood will start to draw moisture back in as it seeks to balance itself with the Equilibrium Moisture Content determined by the relative humidity of the air.

Granted, that will take some time, and in the UK when relative humidity is unlikely to peak above 92% for any sustained period, which in turn means that the equilibrium moisture content in wood will be around 20/22% (which is why naturally seasoning gets it to that point over time) but generally it would appear that in creating what is perceived to be a "premium product", ie kiln dried, it would be counter productive to allow that product to regain too much moisture?

So, whilst you may be able to generate a big pile of "stock" during those long summer days (oh yeah!!) the short, dark, wet ones are when people want your stock and your kiln doesn't work as there is insufficient solar power output to dry another 300 tonnes at the precise moment that the demand for it exists!

Just my opinion, I could be wrong!!

and as a second and extremely valid point, RHI is the Renewable Heat Incentive and is a payment received for the creation and valid (for RHI) use of HEAT generated by Biomass, whereas Solar Panels gain the FIT or Feed In Tarrif, for the geration of electricity.

With FIT you get the electricity you produce from the solar panels free (although there is of course the outlay cost for the solar array and you receive payments (the FIT) based upon the excess power you generate which you "sell" back to the grid.

If you are consuming the majority of the power generated by using it to heat the kiln in the summer months, then there will not be that much to sell back to the grid and you wont get paid very much. It also depends where you are in the country on the amount of power generated, so Devon/Cornwall produce more sunlight and therefore more energy than the Midlands or Northern England/Scotland.

Meanwhile, a biomass boiler burning wood creates the same level of income through RHI where ever it is in the country, and every bit of heat that you generate AND USE in drying the wood in the kiln is included in the calculation of what you receive through RHI as opposed to what is left after you have used most of it on FIT.

Having thought that through as I typed it, I can't see any sensible reason why you would use solar for a wood drying kiln!!

and as a second and extremely valid point, RHI is the Renewable Heat Incentive and is a payment received for the creation and valid (for RHI) use of HEAT generated by Biomass, whereas Solar Panels gain the FIT or Feed In Tarrif, for the geration of electricity.

With FIT you get the electricity you produce from the solar panels free (although there is of course the outlay cost for the solar array and you receive payments (the FIT) based upon the excess power you generate which you "sell" back to the grid.

If you are consuming the majority of the power generated by using it to heat the kiln in the summer months, then there will not be that much to sell back to the grid and you wont get paid very much. It also depends where you are in the country on the amount of power generated, so Devon/Cornwall produce more sunlight and therefore more energy than the Midlands or Northern England/Scotland.

Meanwhile, a biomass boiler burning wood creates the same level of income through RHI where ever it is in the country, and every bit of heat that you generate AND USE in drying the wood in the kiln is included in the calculation of what you receive through RHI as opposed to what is left after you have used most of it on FIT.

Having thought that through as I typed it, I can't see any sensible reason why you would use solar for a wood drying kiln!!

Think Solar Tubes and the RHI for solar being far higher than RHI for biomass

Works very well in conjunction with our existing Solar Kilns with RHI all year round. Have also added a Lenz type dryer for chip and will be extending to power generation next year.

Have kept quiet about it due to patent process.

Do you know how many kws you will be producing, and from what size of boiler?

I looked into this years ago.

Been busy - Thanks for the reply John.

Yes, solar tubes give enhanced RHI return, which is why I cannot fathom why more aren't adopting your installation - possibly because few have solar drying operational.

I am not sure if everyone grasps the concept that the RHI is what makes Solar very attractive and setup cost minimal compared with a chip boiler.

I am finding it hard to crunch the numbers when calculating the tube requirement for a 40ft insulated container.

Any pointers would be appreciated.:biggrin: