Stihl fs300

maria warwick

Just picked up an FS300 off ebay and it is a 2005 model..

Seems to be a good runner and starts on the first or second pull.

i was thinking of using the 3-bladed knife for some brambles that I need to clear , but then thought of getting a mulching type blade…….

Question is : Is it worth it ? Or will the 3-blader be good enough ?

I now seem to have an MS261 , an HS45 and an FS300……….. think I have

Stihl-syndrome :biggrin:

Now I need to get some work , to pay for it all …….. !!

I've got a 560 and all the mulching blades. A three blade alone just produces 9foot pieces of barbed wire (dried bramble) that last for years. The mulcher produces 4inch pieces that rot quickly. The Stihl or on-line rip off ebay equivalent is by far the best and I much prefer it to the Airecut.

Or an alterntative is oregon jet head with four nylon strimmer line. Its what i run on my FS460 you can put most strimmer line in it. At the moment iam running Stihl 3.3mm square. I like nylon line because it mulches very well and its very forgiving if you hit a piece of masonary or metal tubing what you usaly find under brambles. Farmers like to dump old feeders & gates in the undergrowth and metal blades dont like it. Also for speed on grass you can just run two. Four slows you down more but breaks much less so is ideal for brambles brush ect.

Well …… I didn't get time to go out and get a mulcher today and ended up using the metal 3-bladed option. Did the job but probably took a bit longer and also

"mowandgo" , I managed to hit a metal pipe ! Now that you have just mentioned it !

Before I started ( as this was it's first outing ) I made sure there was enough grease in the head-gear. So that was fine. Whilst running the strimmer , there were a couple of occasions where on re-starting the strimmer , it was a bit reluctant and sometimes it was bogging down ( poor throttle response )

So , tonight , ( 'cus I'm a sad old gal :001_smile:) I checked the muffler/ exhaust outlet and also the fuel filter which seem ok ( new filter ordered just in case ). Sparkplug is fine , so tomorrow I will have a play with the carburettor settings….seems like the next thing to do ?

……back to sharpening the blade ……. :blushing:

Edited by maria warwick