What Tractor?

HRG Tree Services

Hi Guys

Im considering buying a tractor for my business but I have never bought anything like this and have limited knowledge so I would like some advice??

This what I want it for

Mulcher

Flail

Moving chip around the yard

Towing low loader trailer with kit on etc..

Log splitter

Can I get a tractor that will be versatile and do everything I want?

Thanks in advance

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Guys

Im considering buying a tractor for my business but I have never bought anything like this and have limited knowledge so I would like some advice??

This what I want it for

Mulcher

2-300hp

Flail

Somewhat less

Moving chip around the yard

50hp

Towing low loader trailer with kit on etc..

Can of worms, will it be covered by agricultural or forestry exemption AND/OR only moving tools of trade to these or horticultural work?

Log splitter

30hp and wear and tear ( especially glazing bore) on large tractor plus fuel consumption will put costs up.

In all honesty 100Hp would power a 5' Seppi mulcher. So this being the case I'd be looking at tractors in that size. You will need a creep gear set in the box for this work.

As for towing a low loader trailer you would need to be very specific on the heaviest thing you're likely to put on said trailer and perhaps work from there. Remembering you are still restricted to 18MPH so the 40k tractor may not be so suitable and a 30k in the same model may be just the job!

As open spaceman has said the next bit is using ALL that power to run a log splitter!!

codlasher

In all honesty 100Hp would power a 5' Seppi mulcher.

Yeah, but it's pretty hopeless as the tractor is 2ft wider than the cut.

A 100HP 4wd tractor with loader will do all you ask well except the mulching. I'd start there and then decide if you really want to do mulching later.

For a yard tractor to run the splitter and move chip, plus do a bit of flail mowing in dry conditions, a 70-90HP International or David Brown will give you the best bang for your buck. Purchase price under £3k, wouldn't be without mine. Makes the same money as an expensive 4WD one working around the yard and on local topping jobs, just got to know it's limits.

Yeah, but it's pretty hopeless as the tractor is 2ft wider than the cut.

A 100HP 4wd tractor with loader will do all you ask well except the mulching. I'd start there and then decide if you really want to do mulching later.

For a yard tractor to run the splitter and move chip, plus do a bit of flail mowing in dry conditions, a 70-90HP International or David Brown will give you the best bang for your buck. Purchase price under £3k, wouldn't be without mine. Makes the same money as an expensive 4WD one working around the yard and on local topping jobs, just got to know it's limits.

100hp will run a mulcher BUT it will need CREEP box fitted other wise your sat on the clutch all the time ,revres drive is + plus if doing mulching work :001_smile:

If you want to do side arm flailing you needed 100hp minimum and that is for a fairly small one. For a good size one you want 130hp. Again for mulching you want 130hp for it to be any good. With flails the more power the better. Loader work you don't need a massive tractor.

What you need is a tractor with good viability/stability around 130hp if you want the towing thing then a 6cylinder engine. a LL gearbox and reverse drive for mulching. If you want to do a lot of road work then a CVT will make a big difference on fuel. Your looking at spending for ~50k for all of that with about 5000 hours on it.

Compromise along the way to bring the price down.