Prusik help for Rope Access technician

Bjørgvin

Hello forum members!

First let me say that I am impressed with the skilled work you guys are doing. I dont think people understand before they are actually up in a tree with a chainsaw. I have been doing some minor tree work, but this topic is not directly aimed at this.

When I am off work in the offshore industry I do some work onshore. Lately its been alot of roof cleaning with a pressure washer. Roofs then gets a waterproof coating and a new layer of paint.

I have been using the industry standard Petzl ID and ASAP backup. The issue is that I am spending some time wrestling with the ID. Problem is that if the pitch of the roof is not steep, I am not putting that much weight on the ID. More leaning back on the ropes than hanging.

So decending means that I have to push away with my feet to get it to feed trough rope. And If I pull to much on the handle it goes into panic mode:sneaky2:

Ascending is a real pain. If I take a step and the rope gets slack its hard to pull a dirty moss covered rope through it. Usually I clip in my croll and walk up the roof grabbing the rope as I go.

Building a pulley system like rads does work, but suddenly I have 4 ropes in front of me..

I was thinking maybe some sort of prusik system could work both up and down the rope? It has to work on stationary rope, as I would not like a running rope over the roof ridge.

Could I use a "rope wrench" system but without the wrench? Remember I am not hanging on the ropes with all my weight.

I am using Singing Rock R44 ropes. Believe its 10.5 mm.

This is my first time experiment with none mechanical devices..

Edit: English is not my language. So please be kind:-)

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes it would be a single rope method.

Though there is a secondary rope as backup. But thats just a ASAP running problem free up and down as i go.

I might try a friction hitch with a micro pulley under. As a lot of my weight is on the roof itself, maybe a rope wrench is not needed to take some friction from the hitch. As that is my understanding of this product.

Hi Bjørgvin a prussic will do the job you describe . It mite not conform to rule in your industry i would recommend a knut found in the knot guide on this forum with a micro pully for tending be aware that toomuch load will make the prussic jamm and sick . I can say the rope wrench is fantastic piece of equipment may be worth getting

Will look into the tips posted. Thanx.

And yes, a prusik is not industry legit as opposed to a ID. But this kind of work is really rated as fall protection jobs. Meaning that my backup rope with the running ASAP is enough as long as I can somehow stand on the roof. The "working rope" is for my own convenience. So I can lean back in the harness and relax as I work.

Do you with legal issues? Or getting my weight of it? None of these two would be an issue.

As I mentioned, I use a fall protection system aswell. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjWbzhzJJLE]Using the ASAP on an inclined surface - YouTube[/ame]

The Trango looks like the same funtion of an ID or Grigri. May be hard to feed rope when its very dirty.