AutoCAD for BS5837/Tree Surveys - Training

scott's_pine

Hi all,

I have completed the foundation degree in arb at plumpton college. we covered BS5837 and tree inspection for health & safety / landowner's public liability under our arb planning module. The CAD package we were taught in order to produce plans for this was Vectorworks :-/

Now, welcome to the real world. Landscape architects and planning officers want reports in DWG format which effectively means using AutoCAD.

Can anyone point me in the direction where I can learn to use this very powerful and adaptable program for the specific purpose of BS5837? There is no point in me doing a CAD course and learning about 3D engineering design. In our CAD course at college we arbs were stuck in along with the garden designers and taught how to produce colourful plans for poncy posh clients :thumbdown:

Online souces would be good. alternatively I am based in london but would consider something out of my area say, 2-day intensive course.

Any advice would be humbly appreciated.

You can teach yourself if you did the Fd.Sc.Arb. - nothing like the work you put in on a weekly basis.

AutoCAD LT is great and you only use about 1/5000th of its capabilities.

Everything you need is within the AC program supplied.

You need to be using Chris Skellerns Arborcad also or you are wasting your time.

Good luck

There are several people out there that will create tree plans for you if you need them quickly, they normally charge £100+ for the two plans (TCP and TPP).

There are some free AutoCAD packages you can get online. They area basic and clunky to use but good to try before you fork out on a new package. Ebay is also useful to look at, there are several older packages out there for sale.

Chris Skellerns Arborcad is good, and Pear technology also do a package.

Home - Pear Technology

I am looking in to putting together a training course for exactly this subject so it's good to have confirmation of the demand! It will likely be run through CAS so I will post any news about a forthcoming course in the CAS forum on here.

In the meantime, as others have suggested try getting a CAD professional to do the plans for you. I can recommend ActionCAD | Building Information Modelling | BIM.

I use a program called KeyTree LT, similar to the Arborcad program mentioned above. However, even with these programs you need to be fairly familiar with AutoCAD to get the most out of them.

Paul,

How do you find the KeyTree LT? I saw a demo on it but it didn't show much about ease of use etc.

I and someone else are also looking at systems and would be interested to see what CAS offer in the training. I was thinking of going on a level 2 CAD course at a local college as it looked good value.

Thanks

Paul,

How do you find the KeyTree LT? I saw a demo on it but it didn't show much about ease of use etc.

Hi Reuben,

I really like it - it produces nice looking plans with minimal fuss. Some CAD knowledge is essential though as it is essentially CAD with bolt-ons.

It saves me days and days of work, as when I first taught myself CAD I had to draw every element of each tree from scratch...crown N, E, S, W...RPA...reference number....it could easily take half a day to do one plan.

When I got Keytree LT I wanted to test how fast it was, so I fed in a spreadsheet of a site that had about 1000 trees on it. It took about 5 minutes :thumbup1:

I gave up trying to do my own. Rob has a very quick turn around and good results. I believe he was going to run some arb specific training a few years back.

Mr Robert Kehoe BEng.(Hons) BSc.

Director ActionCAD Ltd.

You'll find me on LinkedIn.

Tel: 01606 374997

email: [email protected]

ActionCAD Limited

172 Delamere Street,

Winsford,

Cheshire.

CW7 2NA

ActionCAD.co.uk

Hi all' date='

I have completed the foundation degree in arb at plumpton college. we covered BS5837 and tree inspection for health & safety / landowner's public liability under our arb planning module. The CAD package we were taught in order to produce plans for this was Vectorworks :-/

Now, welcome to the real world. Landscape architects and planning officers want reports in DWG format which effectively means using AutoCAD.

Can anyone point me in the direction where I can learn to use this very powerful and adaptable program for the specific purpose of BS5837? There is no point in me doing a CAD course and learning about 3D engineering design. In our CAD course at college we arbs were stuck in along with the garden designers and taught how to produce colourful plans for poncy posh clients :thumbdown:

Online souces would be good. alternatively I am based in london but would consider something out of my area say, 2-day intensive course.

Any advice would be humbly appreciated.[/quote']

Buy AutoCad Lt and Arborcad off Chris Skellern and get on with it. Someone with your qualifications will find it very straight forward.