finders fee ettiquette

DWestbrook

I have two gardener contacts that get me work, that for one i pay ten percent of the priced job to and the other I have a more casual arrangement in that I see him for a drink per job he sources and help him with green waste and other practical support when he gives me a shout.

In the event of repeat custom, which im getting, from the work these guys find me, should I be still paying a percentage or token gesture accordingly to them on such jobs?, is there an infomal code of practice in instances such as these:confused1:

i dont want to damage any business relationships but equally dont want to be throwing money around needlessly.

I have two gardener contacts that get me work, that for one i pay ten percent of the priced job to and the other I have a more casual arrangement in that I see him for a drink per job he sources and help him with green waste and other practical support when he gives me a shout.

In the event of repeat custom, which im getting, from the work these guys find me, should I be still paying a percentage or token gesture accordingly to them on such jobs?, is there an infomal code of practice in instances such as these:confused1:

i dont want to damage any business relationships but equally dont want to be throwing money around needlessly.

We have a landscaper who passes us tree work and we pass our clients his details for landscaping projects, works both ways; we get the work he isn't interested in and he gets an introduction to our clients for projects we can't do.

We have a landscaper who passes us tree work and we pass our clients his details for landscaping projects, works both ways; we get the work he isn't interested in and he gets an introduction to our clients for projects we can't do.

I'd go with that. Perhaps a beer if they've passed on a fair bit of work, but I wouldn't fork out a 'finders fee' for them passing on jobs they weren't able to do themselves...

my concern is that customers they have found me are now calling me independently to do more work.

Should I still be offering the garden guy a payment on these jobs?

As long as you are only doing the tree work and not trying to mow their lawns or weed the borders taking his primary work away then i would say no. Maybe if some of your tree work clients need a bit of weeding done you could recommend your mate....works both ways then