Starting New Business In NZ

Facebook page, website (tick), signwriting, having clean and tidy vehicles. Turn up to do quotes 5 minutes early, you only get one shot at a first impression. Listen to what clients want and advise them as best you can.

At lot of people want a personal touch, I've been told having your photo on your website can help, people who don't know you might feel uncomfortable having a random person from an unknown company turn up on thier doorstep. Have got some work from the missus knocking on doors in the local area but mostly frosty responses as people think you are religous. Fliers can work, and I know of a company (not local) picking up work near me dropping fliers and then following up with a phonecall (via telemarketer), but this can put off alot of people and dent your reputation. Alot of it is brand repition, having a good name/logo, people see your truck around and when they need an arborist they call you (hopefully). I also send emails to landscapers/small arb companys and sometimes get work either as a contract climber or I bring my truck and chipper.

Kiwi's are 'do it yourselfers', which doesn't help, so some people are just never going to call an arborist when they have a brother in law with a chainsaw. If you are the only arborist in Nelson (I assume not!) then you are lucky, otherwise you need:

- A point of difference (price, service, personal touch etc.)

- A good reputation (takes years to build)

- Know lots of people (can be valid way of getting going but people expect mates rates)

If you can keep overheads low to start with (borrow money from savings or family for equipment) then you can afford to be quiet, you just wont earn much money for your own pocket.

Do you work on your own? I don't do any climbing or felling on my own, only hedges/garden work really. I don't employ anyone but I'm lucky to have a great subby who is a climber too.

Your website has some great content (mine is basic), did you have the logo/website professionally designed? This is my site which is quite different. Click Here I plan on adding more pages/content to improve my google ranking.

Having said all this I've been a bit slow/rubbish at getting the business going, and I guess I'm paying the price.. I'm about 8-10 months in and workload is still much less what I would like.

• 1 month later...

Hi Fred,

Thanks for your tips, sorry for the delayed response.

We have been implimenting many of your suggestions.

We started with a flier drop targeting a bunch of likely streets. This seems to be generating a few quotes and some work already.

Now that we have sign writing and uniforms and now my partner has officially quite his last job to join full time we will look to personalize the website more. It was a little awkward before things became official.

We have approached several landscaping guys and they seem happy to refer us tree work. There are other arborists in town, but several of them do not have people friendly front men.

There are lot of bushmen and do-it-yourselfers in the area, but there is also a percentage of retired people living here for the weather/lifestyle.

We are just starting to advertise in the local free papers (free to receive not free to advertise!). There is some competition in them, but I think they have the wrong approach, so we will see how that pans out.

The website and logo etc I did myself. Part of the master plan with the branding we are going for.

I like your site too. If you want any help with how to rank it better etc let me know. I am working ours up the rankings. I am not sure how much work comes through the websites, as search traffic is relatively low. But we might as well get all of it :thumbup: