Sthil 260 or Husky 545

Countryboy

I am need to replace my saw that I use for cutting up smallish logs which are for myself to use. Can anyone advise on the best saw to buy , I was thinking of a Stihl 260 or the Husky 545. Never had a husky before but felt like a change but a bit worried about some of the comments re. them falling to bits.

I am need to replace my saw that I use for cutting up smallish logs which are for myself to use. Can anyone advise on the best saw to buy , I was thinking of a Stihl 260 or the Husky 545. Never had a husky before but felt like a change but a bit worried about some of the comments re. them falling to bits.

I ave a few Huskys and its only the topper that fall to bits .:001_smile:

As Stubby said, falling apart reports belong to the 540T XP. And apart from the rear AV, one has to at least bash them up to break them. As for the 545 failing, no reports of that. The 540T XP and 545 may share their first two numbers but that's where the similarities end. They are completely different saws, with completely different uses.

I'm not just saying so because I own a 545. But they are a reliable saw; had one for a while now and have had no problems. When I was choosing, the MS261, (the 260 no longer being in production) did make my shortlist. But of Stihl, only the MS241 C-M made the short shortlist.

What size wood are you going to be mainly cutting? What will the saw be replacing and with the old saw, was there ever the feeling, that you needed more saw or less saw?

Edited by TGB

As Stubby said, falling apart reports belong to the 540T XP. And apart from the rear AV, one has to at least bash them up to break them.

As a side note mine actually fell in half by being dropped on its strop > I had made a mod to the saw to stop the AV spring bending . This limited the side load on the spring . The problem is when you do that the load is then transferred to the already under engineered ( read week ) spring mount lug and it breaks ...the saw then hinges apart .

I am replacing a stihl 230 and found that ok on most logs. The logs I am cutting is up to 15" diameter. I had a 16" bar on the saw. I appreciate your feedback it is really helpful..

Any of the current Husqvarna saws 545 , 550 , 560 will fit the bill . depends on your budget . If I could afford it I would go with the 560 as you have the option of running up to a 20" bar . Mine sits on an 18" . Bonkers saw ! :biggrin:

There are some very good alternatives in the 50cc-60cc range . Dolmar and Echo for instance .

My 545 is great on 15". Now I know Husky reckon it'll run an 18", I think it would be pushing the 545 somewhat on 18". Certainly the MS 260 is great on 16" and plenty happily run an 18" on them. I can't see the MS 261 being any different. Just make sure you keep the clutch bearing greased. If you could stretch to the H' 550XP, that would rip through anything you'll be cutting. Something to consider maybe, would be the Stihl MS 241 C-M. Lower power but comes standard with a 16" and cuts above its weight.