husky 435 starter pulley problem

shillo

trying to mend this for a farmer friend which i thought was an easy fix, replaced the starter pulley, put starter assembly back on machine, starter pawls engage but won't disengage? so the pull cord will not retract.

Take bar & chain off, plug out. starter will engage and rotate freely but will rotate flywheel backwards to recoil starter rope.

I'm sure I'm missing something simple?!

any ideas?

the second pic is the new pulley

third pic is the knackerd old pulley

IMG_0329.jpg.6c2ee7bc5826b448a4739900ce3c07bc.jpg

IMG_0328.jpg.d7c1338c127d0af599c608f59d83f7a8.jpg

IMG_0327.jpg.9c83cc259777205013228bd11062ba38.jpg

Would seem like the pawls are stuck (which is what probably caused the damage in the old one?)

Make sure they van move freely with no resistance at all bar the spring. It also looks like the one on the left in that picture is bent ? as it looks to be at a different angle than the other one?

As per Rovers thread, it looks like one pawl is bent.

Just for the record, pawls are usually in their inner sprung position when the saw isn't running, They only open/retract when tha flywheel is spinning fast as they are flung out under centrifugal force!

They should move freely from their stationary position to their extended position and the springs should both be in place and working smoothly.

It sounds like the old starter has mullered the pawls a bit and is stopping them retracting - you may find that the bent one is contacting the new pulley on its flat surface and not just on the gear part where it is supposed to catch - you could try tapping them both down a little with a mallet or checking the measurement from the top of the pawl to the flywheel body - that is the vertical distance outwards from the body of the flywheel - I know what I mean:001_rolleyes::lol: