applying for a patent?

Graham w

Hi guys

What is the best way to patent the unique functions on a prototype firewood processor.

To my knowledge there is no current machine that can process multiple stems, cut and split at speed on a commercial volume but there could have been and its already patented.

I have heard of online companies that can search through stacks of info and they will then apply for the patents for you but i would rather take plans/pictures to a uk based organisation or even take the processor to them (haven started building it yet:001_rolleyes:) to get a personal hands on approach?

Has anyone dealt with a good company and what costs could be involved?

timescale is not an issue as i dont intend on producing machines this will be a one off but i dont want my ideas stolen!

It can be a very expensive game, I had one on a touring caravan accessory many years ago.

A good patent agent will be expensive but worth the money, however why patent if you aren't going to produce.

Mine cost enough but someone I know done one in the late 70's and it cost him over £20K

Things can also get dearer if someone challenges your patent, someone challenged mine but it was thrown out as it wasn't even a remotely similar idea.

It can take a while to get one but some of that is the waiting for objections time that is allowed.

Back in the day when I worked for a engineering firm there was a guy worked in the drawing office ( pre cad ! ) whose sole job it was to check for patents on designs that came and make sure non were contravened and apply for if all was good . He did nothing else day in day out ...

I have had some limited involvement with this and I would suggest that if you are serious about it you have to get a patent agent, it is an immensely complex subject, not so much applying for patent but as others have said seeing off the chancers, nutters and misguided. And if you get a patent it is probably because you have something that is worthwhile and some **** in China will copy it for a quarter of the price and you will bankrupt yourself trying to stop them doing it.

A business plan is the fundamental. How much does it cost to make, what is the demand and the retail price and for how long before it is obsolete and the mark up. Basically is it worth patenting so that the time and money you put into your R&D and inventiveness gives you a financial return free from copyists.

however why patent if you aren't going to produce.

problem is it would be very difficult to build a machine (for production) without using other companies designs. an example would be the multitek 3040 has an overhead shuttle grapple for clamping and feeding logs. in my design a grapple would slide on a carriage on the log deck, by doing this its infringe-ing their existing patent

however if this machine works well and has ideally two patents they could be valuable to competing processor manufacturers, where you would then get a return on investing in the patent i.e. sell them or get a percentage of sales

i know an engineer that (or so the story goes) built a Christmas tree netting thing long time ago that was copied and if it was patented he would be having a happier retirement

problem is it would be very difficult to build a machine (for production) without using other companies designs. an example would be the multitek 3040 has an overhead shuttle grapple for clamping and feeding logs. in my design a grapple would slide on a carriage on the log deck, by doing this its infringe-ing their existing patent

however if this machine works well and has ideally two patents they could be valuable to competing processor manufacturers, where you would then get a return on investing in the patent i.e. sell them or get a percentage of sales

i know an engineer that (or so the story goes) built a Christmas tree netting thing long time ago that was copied and if it was patented he would be having a happier retirement

If you are applying for a patent then it's best not to discuss the product with anyone else except your patent agent first.

I remember something about if it had been discussed openly you can't patent it, or something like that.

When you read a well written patent application you can see how they earn their money.

What Jules said above.

Trying to stop someone using your patented design without your permission is where the real costs are - and some Chinese aren't going to respect it anyway.

You really need to be able to get to market quickly or disguise/hide your technology, which isn't going to work with a processor.