Why is there no "British Firewood Association"?

Lucan

Just got wondering this based on the thread regarding industry standard

Is there a reason why there is no "British Firewood Association" seeing as there seems to be an association for everything else these days?

I realise you have hetas, the FC's usewoodfuel and such but they're not quite what I mean. I'd guess its purpose could be the go to source of information for the public, provide press releases, area suppliers list, lobby over concerns, promote the use of British firewood, survey members to gain info on the size, growth, concerns of the industry, etc, etc.

I guess membership would be based on primarily proving you sell British, maybe also having to list clearly key info (container volume, species, moisture, etc). In return you can promote that you are a member (maybe a logo, something similar to the Red Tractor).

I suppose the answer will be there has there has never been any need for one/waste of money, but is that the case?

Are you and all the other processors on here going to pay for membership? All associations have a cost.

Another £300-600 per year.

Government sure as .... aren't going to fund it.

yup, think that is the key issue - most suppliers are relatively small and the membership fee would be a killer

Just got wondering this based on the thread regarding industry standard

Is there a reason why there is no "British Firewood Association" seeing as there seems to be an association for everything else these days?

I realise you have hetas, the FC's usewoodfuel and such but they're not quite what I mean. I'd guess its purpose could be the go to source of information for the public, provide press releases, area suppliers list, lobby over concerns, promote the use of British firewood, survey members to gain info on the size, growth, concerns of the industry, etc, etc.

I guess membership would be based on primarily proving you sell British, maybe also having to list clearly key info (container volume, species, moisture, etc). In return you can promote that you are a member (maybe a logo, something similar to the Red Tractor).

I suppose the answer will be there has there has never been any need for one/waste of money, but is that the case?

Start a splinter group? Then from little acorns...... :blushing:

It might be that education of both sellers and buyers is a better way forward. If someone is happy to take soaking wet freshly felled pop / leylandii etc why should they be stopped by regs. As long as they know what they are getting and pay an appropriate price there should be no disappointments. No amount of regs will stop the man down the pub selling and if his customers are happy where is the problem that needs fixing?

We put these guides together some years ago (with much help from the Arbtalk community) which tried to articulate the concensus:

Firewood Selling Guide - Best practice and standards for firewood suppliers and retailers

Buying Firewood: A guide to buying firewood, logs, kindling and how to use a moisture meter

woodsure?.

Woodsure

Helen is the lady. Have looked at it myself, specs are max moist 25% which is far to high IMHO. Had it been 20% I might have joined.

A

Haha yeh I talked to Woodsure at the APF 2 years ago. Said I should sell by weight :lol: When I explained that would only encourage selling wood as wet as possible they looked confused. Never looked into it again.

In all seriousness I don't see any need for regulation. Customers get wiser by the day so they know what they are getting. If they don't like your product they go elsewhere. The only area that might be nice is to have some standard for volume for the delivery vehicle. Some means that you go to a centre and have it measure and a some permanent registered marks for a given volume but I am sure this would cost a fortune and be abused.