Lyme disease

Lucan

Thought I'd share my experience as a wee reminder to others.

Just got confirmed that I have been exposed to the bacteria, starting a 2 week course of antibiotics that should clear it.

Spent this spring/summer carrying out woodland surveys, getting bit by ticks about once a week I reckon. Never got any symptoms or the "bulls eye" rash but thought it would be best to get checked anyway once the contract finished. Felt a bit guilty about wasting the doctor's time, getting blood test sent off to experts in Inverness, etc, but glad I did it now.

Being self-employed would hate to imagine if I'd left it and ended up hospitalised/unable to work for weeks on end.

My barber got it when out dog walking was bitten on the b****ck whilst wearing shorts. Had to explain to his boss at the time why he was late as he had to get his missus to help get it off (his missus that is, not his boss's)! Just goes to show it can only take one bite.

Cheers

Lucan

Tick bites can be very dangerous.

Quite often it is not apparent that you have been bitten.

Five years ago I arrived back in the UK after spending two weeks in San Diego, California.

Two days later I was suffering from fever and all my joints were ballooning.

I was hospitalised for four days whilst the docs tried to discover what was the cause of my problem.

It was a lucky fluke that led to a young doctor, who had studied in the USA, recognising the symptoms and diagnosed Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever.

They later found the site of a tick bite on my elbow.

Most unpleasant and took about two months to recover.

If you are really interested, here's a Wiki article:-

Rocky Mountain spotted fever - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I had no idea you could request tests. Will remember that one. Last year I reckon I removed in the region of 100 ticks from myself, this year none, oddly. I was pretty much expecting to come down with something though. It's been 14 months since my last one now and I think I got away with it but it was a bit of a worry for me for a while.

Known a couple guys who've caught encephalitis and it was pretty terrifying. There is a vaccine for that though...