390xp vs 395xp

jnoon

Hi all,

After a lot of feedback on my last thread, which saws do you prefer in the woods I decided to get a 560xpg to run alongside the 346xpg, awesome saw been used hard last week and today felling large Doug fir.

15" and 18" Sugi lightweight it's proper.

I've used the 390 and think it's a lovely saw nice and pokey but not to heavy 7.1 kg in husk catalogue,

Question is is the 395 worth the extra ££?? And weight?

And max bar length for each says 28" in catalogue ?

I know it's been asked before can't find anything recent.

Reason for looking is a mate has bought my 660 today.

Thanks

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

390 is good but on a 28" bar i do feel it lacks a little. I've only ever used 395s with 18" bar on in the woods and that was special.

If i'm doing big hard woods i tend to use a 660 because i can run the 3' bar. Smaller big trees i use a 390 with a 28 but soon change down to 576/560.

If you want a big saw then i'd lean towards the 395 if you want husky camp. However if its going to be a daily use big saw i'd go 390 as the vibes are less.

In the woods though i'd go for a 576. 18" bar and chain on it trust me it flys through timber. Then change up to a 24" bar which it pulls really well. Put some full/semi skip on the 576 big bar for performance improvement.

I run my 390 on a 28" 3/8 but would not go any longer ( spud ported though ) and run my 395 on a 36" .404 . It has a MM but don't think its been ported even though it has a " walker saw shop sticker .

I've herd people swinging a 36" on 390 it would be my big saw so want one to do everything

I run my 390 on a 28" 3/8 but would not go any longer ( spud ported though ) and run my 395 on a 36" .404 . It has a MM but don't think its been ported even though it has a " walker saw shop sticker .

A walkerised sticker apparently doesn't mean much apparently, the Americans seem to say that they've just been MM'ed

I run 28" and 36" on my 395. I've only run a 24" on a 390. Personally, I find the 395 has much more raw power, though obviously there's a tradeoff for power against the weight. As has been said, vibes on the 390 are more comfortable after a long day but it depends how much you need a big saw. My personal bigger two are a 576 and a 395, sharing a variety of 20"-36" bars.

I used to love the 660, until I ran a 395.

In the woods though i'd go for a 576. 18" bar and chain on it trust me it flys through timber. Then change up to a 24" bar which it pulls really well. Put some full/semi skip on the 576 big bar for performance improvement.

You must be my forestry brother brishcutter as this is "exactly" what I do but in arb :thumbup:

Another vote for the 576 here, a bit of a animal!

Back to subject, I'd go for the 395 over a 660 and the 390, from my experiences anyhow