Stihl 4-mix strimmers...

wisecobandit

To be fair I don't do much in the way of strimmer work, ive just got a 55r an 80 and a 250 but recently bought a non running 310 which isn't far different than the 130 to be fair.

The horror storys of the 4-mix you hear actually made me want to get one for a challenge if im honest. Well I have to say 25 mins giving the carb a good clean and resetting valve clearances had it running like a dream.

Whilst I admit the current trend of over engineering a 2 stroke is a p.i.t.a it seems a reliable bit of kit. I cant say ive used it for days on end etc but im failing to see where this massive hate comes from? Starts first pull when warm and not skipped a beat.

Is it just a few storys scare mongering and exagerated or do people really hate them?

I will be keeping my eye out for a few cheap fixer uppers now if they turn up at the right price (peanuts lol) :lol:

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Owned a few until the valves popped , one was a bag of poo from the start with carb and fuel issues and the 4 stroke thing produces far to much torque for the shafts and gear boxes creating other problems... Would never buy another.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

We run three fs410's and never had any problems with them.

each has about 200 hrs up and apart from the usual bits n bats thyve been ok.

we also run two 9yr old fs400's and these seem to be bullet proof.

got stihl duracut heads on with four lines.

i must admit i do like the sound of the 4mix engines.reminds me of an old suzuki DR400 i used to have:)

Spud I know stihl sell the decoke solution which they recommend doing before setting the valves as more often than not they need tightening and it will take carbon up into the seat/guide area by tightening them (which was specifically made for the 4-mix.) I didn't use it either tho as it had run on stihl hp all its life and was pretty clean internally as best as I could see.

Matty the 1 thing I do know is the fuel tank breather causes a lot of fueling issues. Frankly they are sh+t and weep fuel up into the airfilter which actually starts to stifle the filters abilitys and the 2 stroke oil actually starts to block it aswell as the excess fuel going into the carb. I have swapped this over with a new oe chainsaw breather off an ms260 I had which is a direct fit and just blocked the bleed pipe on the back of the filter housing.

As for gearboxes im sure they are the same as on the 400 etc being classed as a "brushcutter" rather than a "strimmer" from what ive can gather but cant verify it .

i must admit i do like the sound of the 4mix engines.reminds me of an old suzuki DR400 i used to have:)

You will like this clip then

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx6BPxORR20]4 Mix Engines Sound Cool! - YouTube[/ame]

I agree the fs400 and 250 are excellent machines, solid and dependable. :thumbup:

And to show my age I had a Suzuki sp370 lol :lol:

Only issues I've got are poor idling and the use of Stihl Super ( another can to mix and carry around). apart from that, Strimming, Brushcutting, Pole Pruning and Hedge trimming and using the extension have been no problem. Quite good on fuel as well.

FS 410 is 2-mix, that's why yours are reliable. :thumbup1:

FS-400s were good, but they were normal 2-stroke.

4-mix is rubbish.