New ms261???

stihl running

Hi all,

I notice in the 2014 Stihl brochure that they refer to the 'NEW' 261.

Having read some very mixed reviews of the 261 from a year or 2 ago, I was wondering if the NEW model fairs any better?

Here's hoping!

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk mobile app

The 261 is the worst saw I have ever owned!...over running, cutting out...been in the dealers countless times!

What's new about the new one?

Just about to get shot and buy a hq 550.

I have a 440 2005 never had an issue with it...the most reliable saw I have ever owned.

They certainly don't make them like they used to.

Have recently bought one of these 261 CM's……have not run the engine in yet but so far I am very pleased with it……..

Maria

Hi & Welcome,

I think the issue with them is the clutch bearing failing prematurely, I have an MS250 & decided to change the clutch sprocket bearing annually they are only about £2.50 ish & lightly grease it after a good cutting session.

I also have a Husky 365 where the manual states to grease the clutch sprocket bearing every 50 hours use (if I recall correctly) however it makes no mention of any maintenance for my Stihl but it seemed prudent to perform the same maintenance (to me).

Just my thoughts, but Im sure some others may post their opinions.

N

Hi & Welcome,

I think the issue with them is the clutch bearing failing prematurely, I have an MS250 & decided to change the clutch sprocket bearing annually they are only about £2.50 ish & lightly grease it after a good cutting session.

I also have a Husky 365 where the manual states to grease the clutch sprocket bearing every 50 hours use (if I recall correctly) however it makes no mention of any maintenance for my Stihl but it seemed prudent to perform the same maintenance (to me).

Just my thoughts, but Im sure some others may post their opinions.

N

:thumbup1::thumbup1:

If not maintained as NFG mentions the clutch sprocket bearing fails. Normally because they are ill maintained and go dry increasing friction and allowing the plastic!!! caged bearing to melt.

Keep them lubed and change them once a year or so and they should be fine.