old bracing strangling Beech Tree what to do?

arbwork

the att. pics although not to detailed show size of problem, foliage on limbs with bracing is smaller and greyish in colour compared with healthy dark green and larger in size on non affected ones, owner of the tree is wanting to keep the tree, my thoughts are that if left as is it the tree may fail at the point of bracing, although it may be possible to relieve the tension from some of the old bracing by cutting it will mean cutting into wound/reaction growth to effect what I would consider to be an acceptable amount of relief or release, any past experience, guidance or discussion gratefully accepted, thank you Arbtalkers

b3.jpg.8d5056f2c566b04f0b1f23929f4240ce.jpg

b2.jpg.58fd0189da810961c0855e501394a80c.jpg

b1.jpg.c6681e889461d6adf2ee964d582ae9cb.jpg

We used to maintain a Beech that had 2 steel band wrapped around the trunks connected with a steel chain, it was thought they were installed in the 60's the tree had completely enveloped them, it seemed to have no impact on the stems integrity if anything you could almost argue it was stronger due to the almost wound wood like wood that formed.

So like tree seer I'd be inclined to spec a nice formal reduction to help alleviate some weight and sail then monitor.

thank you for your replies, I guess the lower brace allows some unhindered growth on the inside of the 2 trunks, I will get to the tree and more closely inspect, I suppose the 2 braces that completely encircle the stems are more of a threat, the fork that the braces target I consider not to be that bad!

br1.jpg.76500870cb6287d1b2ae1712b6068432.jpg

Fork not that bad but not good either; definite cracking potential.

some support was a good idea but they really went overboard there.

Remember that even if the 'strangling' hardware is removed, the bark that it compressed continues the strangulation, so it should be shaved back to the phloem to allow recovery. but of course new support should go in before removing the old. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...