Which top handle saw?

Will Heal

the echo stuff seems to be getting a lot of good reviews from folk on here.

I can't comment on the sthil as I've never used one, I have the t540xp and like it, I've been lucky and not had the problems most people have had...... it dose run naff till it's warmed up though, that's my only gripe.

ian

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

The Stihl 150 is a lovely saw in use, once the exhaust has been modded, which is a five minute job, but the plastics are fragile, & tool strop loop too.

The Echo is better built, & more durable, also responding well to exhaust mods, my the chain brake requires regular cleaning or it can get awkward to use, as it is mounted on one side only, so can flex.

If your going for a larger top handle saw, seriously consider the Echo 360, it is not that much more expensive, & comes with 14 inch bar, I bought a Sugi 12 inch carving bar for light pruning, & slip the 14 inch stock bar on for take down.

The Echo takes a few tanks to run in, & likes a warm up before use, it is a high quality saw.

the echo stuff seems to be getting a lot of good reviews from folk on here.

I can't comment on the sthil as I've never used one, I have the t540xp and like it, I've been lucky and not had the problems most people have had...... it dose run naff till it's warmed up though, that's my only gripe.

ian

Theirs a software update for the cold start

that satisfies impatient users but reduces engine longevity.

Just search for 2-stroke warm up and get converted.

did you mean search on the forum or the web??

it only take a minute or two to warm up then it's fine, it's not problem or hassle really. runs great when she's been warmed up

ian

that satisfies impatient users but reduces engine longevity.

Just search for 2-stroke warm up and get converted.

No need really, if the saw goes in for a service at some point the dealers will update the software anyway.

Quick question though how will that update reduce the longevity of my 540's engine?

Quick question though how will that update reduce the longevity of my 540's engine?

I think he means if you start giving it the beans before it is properly warmed up some parts may wear prematurely. I doubt the new firmware enriches it to run smoother encouraging you to wear the saw out quicker or it will increase the warranty claims and Husqvarna are not going to do that.

I think he means if you start giving it the beans before it is properly warmed up some parts may wear prematurely. I doubt the new firmware enriches it to run smoother encouraging you to wear the saw out quicker or it will increase the warranty claims and Husqvarna are not going to do that.

That makes more sense. I thought he knew something we didn't know :001_smile:

did you mean search on the forum or the web??

it only take a minute or two to warm up then it's fine, it's not problem or hassle really. runs great when she's been warmed up

ian

web search

No need really, if the saw goes in for a service at some point the dealers will update the software anyway.

see link below; it's just old school but good school advice.

I think he means if you start giving it the beans before it is properly warmed up some parts may wear prematurely..

Yer.

http://www.kfackler.com/gtuf/two_stroke_engine_tips.pdf