Serviced Diesel engine - now it's blittery

Wood wasp

Hello

I serviced 5 cylinder air cooled deutz engine other day including getting injectors done.

Since then it's been it's missing a bit and not going right. Starts first time moment button is pushed but then idles rough and when given throttle can't get away. I thought it might be water as I also pressure washed machine including blasting years of crap out of diesel tank. However a mechanic friend thinks it's more likely to be drawing air somewhere if starting fine.

Tomorrow's task is to loosen feed to injectors one at a time to see if they're all firing. Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Wm

Hello

I serviced 5 cylinder air cooled deutz engine other day including getting injectors done.

Since then it's been it's missing a bit and not going right. Starts first time moment button is pushed but then idles rough and when given throttle can't get away. I thought it might be water as I also pressure washed machine including blasting years of crap out of diesel tank. However a mechanic friend thinks it's more likely to be drawing air somewhere if starting fine.

Tomorrow's task is to loosen feed to injectors one at a time to see if they're all firing. Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Wm

any white smoke?

id try bypassing the tank and run a direct fuel line.

whats the filter like?

Thanks for suggestions.

No white smoke and all new filters but I'll maybe change them again tomorrow in case there's been water/crap from tank came through.

Glass bowl at lift pump is full of what appears to be clean diesel and no water. I cleaned gauze in lift pump as part of service.

It ran fine prior to my "service"

It ran fine prior to my "service"

So don't get carried away looking for major problems, just revisit the things you have done, one by one.

It will not be anything to do with the oil and filter, so leave that alone.

If you pressure washed the tank then you may well have some water pass into the filters, so your idea of changing them again could be a sound first step, but check the old ones for water, it may be a clue.

My bet is that you have somehow let a small amount of air creep in somewhere. As all the filters and pipes are under vacuum it will be difficult to find whilst running, but may just leak whilst stopped, but to find a diesel leak the pipes will have to be really clean. You could try cleaning the pipes and unions with carb cleaner whilst its running. Then, when it stops you may see the wetness of leaking diesel somewhere.

Remove pipe from lift pump to injector pump, and blank it off. Remove fuel suction pipe from tank and use a priming pump to develop no more than 20psi and look for pressure drop or leaks.

John Deere fuel filters are a bugger where the glass bowl goes on to the bottom of the primary filter. Its a different size o ring to the one they supply, and can pull air.

Worth a try. Just out of interest how old is this machine. What tier engine is it?

Ok thanks guys, more good suggestions. It's a mid eighties machine, no idea what tier.

I'm pretty sure it's drawing air from somewhere but I'll change filters first then go leak hunting. There was some loose pipes which I changed jubilees on so will check they've got good seal, the glass bowl used to be wet with diesel before I put new seal on with liberal amount of grease and it does seem better now but will double check.

In fact I'll simply double check everything and then if still no joy I'll do the primer pump thing.

Mid eighties will probably be a 'blue' engine, so no electronics to worry about. Check fuel pipes for cracks and perishing. If there is a leak on the suction side you wont necessarilly see a wet mark as its not under pressure. Crack the pipes ome at a time, and if no difference then it must be in the supply line.

There's a pipe runs along top connected to each injector, think it's the return. I sheared one of the bolts so had to substitute with an "almost the same" but not 100% convinced I'm getting good seal. Would this matter on return or if not good seal would I just have diesel leak?