Web hosting, who to choose?

TreePuncher

Hi all,

I have been set the task of building a website for the firm, to include the usual...

about us, galleries, testamonials, F&Q pages etc...

now im a little confused, do i just buy a domain name from a site such as "fasthosts" and then use it on a different hosting site to build it myself??

or do you guys have a favoured webhosting company?

I dont know where to start, any advice for a first timer would be greatly appreciated :-)

thank you

You can either buy the domain from the webhosting company you use or buy it from fasthost or the like and point it to your webhosts DNS

I use 1and1 for hosting as they have the best uptime and backup out of the few I have used and use domainmonster for the domain names

Moonfruit is a one stop shop, buy the domain and host in one package. Also it has site templates and you can use their site builder to make your own site or modify one of there existing designs.

We didnt have a clue where to start either but 3 hours of making the site and about £70 all in for a .com and .co.uk with one years hosting was a good price.

To be honest its idiot proof! which is what we needed.

Free Website Builder | Make Your Own Website | Moonfruit

Take a look at Easyspace

They do lots of options, and also one click installs which give you wordpress or drupal to run the site on.

They are also in Scotland, why is this a good thing? Well I once had a website which was I found out afterwards hosting in New Orleans when the hurricane hit - they eventually run out of diesel for the generator and all the servers went offline and everyone lost everything! So pick wisely.

• 4 years later...

The author probably doesn't need help anymore, but I want to share another resource in case anyone needs help with building a website. In case you want to become a professional, of course, you need to learn web development. But if you just need a site, it is possible to use website builders since they give you packages already. Personally I tried one of them and was satisfied with the result.

My favorite is the hPage.com website builder.

You can check them out here: Create a free website - hPage.com

I hope this information will be helpful for someone!

Another option. I've used Weebly. You can build it yourself using easy drag and drop sections. There's a free version for you to play with that has a blah blah.weebly.co.uk name or you can buy the package and they give you a free name for a year. Name is normally £11 or something for the year and the website is £50 for the year. One thing is their customer service. As I am new to this I made a mess of a couple of things and a simple email to their customer services and they sort it out straight away. I was impressed. Integrate this with gsuite and you have a [email protected] email address too. Very pro.