De-barking

kevinjohnsonmbe

Any one got any tips / suggestions on hand held / hydraulic / gene powered de-barking tools or techniques?

I've got a stack of Monterey Pine poles (10-18" diameter) that I'm minded to de-bark, run the grinder over to smooth then use for climbing play area for the nipper. Similar (but a little smaller scale) to this sort of arrangement:

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1405888756.535424.jpg.ee25336833c7734591be7cb4cc9ede91.jpg

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I helped out on a similar project for another arbtalker a couple of years ago where we had a big pile of Larch poles to peel - we tried all sorts but in the end it came down to lots of sweating. Long handled de-barking spade (looked like a garden hoe with a really sharp edge) to get the worst off then set to with the draw knife to clean the last bits off.

Felling it at the right time of the year can help massively though and it'll come off much easier - when the sap's rising from memory?

I helped out peeling Scots pine poles for a log cabin years ago. We did it all with drawing knives from memory. Keep them sharp, straddle the log and just keep peeling. It was hard work as I remember it.

I think you can buy a debarking spade from Stihl, not sure where to get a drawing iron.

I have successfully debarked trees with the 4WD tractor front tyre , come in alongside with a slight cut on, the newish large tyrelugs will pull the bark off surprisingly well, assuming the trunk is sufficiently large to baulk the tyre from climbing up and over.

Only when trees were suitably presented, and only to happenstance aid drying.

Not deliberately done.

but the technique worked.

m

If I had the patience I could just leave it to lay in the yard but (as usual) time is precious! A de-barking spade, is that a specific tool or a garden spade adapted?? Good idea, I'll give it a try with a sharpened garden spade. Thanks Chris.

This is the one I have, just had to fit a suitable handle myself but still worked out a lot cheaper than buying the stihl one (which I think is a rebadged muller one)

De-Barking Blade at Westfalia Mail Order - UK

I have seen pictures of modified garden spades though, but being such a short handle means you're stooped a lot more I'd guess.

Not sure leaving it to do it's stuff is the best as it starts to go off underneath the bark. When we peeled it fresh, it weathered really nicely, rahter than looking a bit manky.

de barking tool used be available widely,try honey bros or lister wilder,bought a new one some time ago, its a good work out, but they do a neat job, spades are too flexible and can dig in, even with a debarked you need the right angle……. once you get in the swing of it you will fly it, used strip all sorts for x-country fences ….. best of luck,hope the nippers enjoy your efforts!

Funny, I just got a catalouge in the post today and was looking at this tool while having a cuppa,

Its listed at 269€ +tva@20%

SCHÄLEN/HOBELN - eder-maschinenbau, Wald,Forst und Holzgeraete

Chainsaw not included!:001_rolleyes:

Have had a go with similar and it was a bit agressive for general peeling, though fast.