Today's press release from the HSE regarding dropped trees on a rail line

Climbingmagnus

See the HSE note to editors:

2. Section 3(1) of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 states: “It shall be the duty of every employer to conduct his undertaking in such a way as to ensure, so far as is reasonably practicable, that persons not in his employment who may be affected thereby are not thereby exposed to risks to their health or safety.”

It is amazing how some folk continously take an erroneous narrow interpretation of the term "employer".

I signed up a while ago for the 'eBulletins' service from the HSE. You can pick from a big list the industries that are relevant to you and it sends you stuff like this. Since signing up I've been genuinely surprised by how many people still lose limbs and are killed at work. It really puts into perspective that H&S is about stopping stuff like this happening not about making arbitrary rules just to annoy people.

Subscribe - free news and updates from HSE

I signed up a while ago for the 'eBulletins' service from the HSE. You can pick from a big list the industries that are relevant to you and it sends you stuff like this. Since signing up I've been genuinely surprised by how many people still lose limbs and are killed at work. It really puts into perspective that H&S is about stopping stuff like this happening not about making arbitrary rules just to annoy people.

Subscribe - free news and updates from HSE

Likewise, it's shocking isn't it, and oft involving young people in avoidable accidents...very, very sad (ALL people involved!)

I often read the articles and think it' so obvious, it was an accident waiting to happen...but I wonder whether its often the great benefit of hindsight when things often do seem obvious.

However, its an opportunity for others to learn and avoid these sad incidents.

Cheers..

Paul

It amazes me that so called tree surgeons have no idea what they are doing, some seem to think that CS 30/31 covers them for anything.

Hodge

Agreed mate,

I've had my 30/31 for about 6 years and my 38/39 for about 6 months. The more I work (and read this forum! :) ), I realise I haven't even scratched the surface.....,,,

Hi

Thanks for posting,

Im surprised the council didnt check quals or inform Network Rail, considering the severity of the incident it could have been a lot worse.

N