Redwood Forest - Spring Time

mdvaden

Here's a few pics from my last two visits in the redwoods. Last weekend, and about 3 weeks earlier too. Tossed in some mossy Bigleaf maple and vine maple for those who like those. The one big tree pic, is an unknown giant we came across at the end of one day as it was getting dark. A giant salamander - cool skin - and a calypso orchid. Saw the old truck in the small trees along Bald Hills Road above Redwood National Park near the hilltop prairies. Small cab, but dang, that truck had an amazing bulk of leaf springs for it's size.

Redwood_Maple.jpg.77cbafe3476a68e041fcc28a8e329fda.jpg

Redwood_Face_600.jpg.e3c54a7585570f241bf42a227c2a47a0.jpg

Prairie_Creek_Maple.jpg.58dd548bddbec7705f1841708e297ae0.jpg

Jed_Smith.jpg.bad10bf783adcef647caca30f1f68e6b.jpg

Jed_Smith_600.jpg.d547d1fea021d378cdb647010f20c3e8.jpg

Ths funky limb is on a redwood along Brown Creek Trail in Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park. Only a couple of most popular trails had like maybe 10 cars at trailheads. But overall quite and peaceful.

The jug handle opening is on a hemlock deep in Jed Smith redwoods. Probably an old crack that's enclosed with new growth. Looks interesting.

Brown_Creek_Trail.jpg.ae1bf88fb9f6b04f4baa4008ccb7e59d.jpg

Redwood_Truck.jpg.b2513fda5a6773a23482b981c2d20c3d.jpg

Giant_Salamander_600.jpg.228007821bbe7ab0adbc04405b06935c.jpg

hemlock_jughandle.jpg.e37e453cb4ab0ba85c61e4c87ccd25f8.jpg

Redwood_Orchid_600.jpg.94ec905ea45142a84fbb07bd8375ba5d.jpg

Thank you mdvaden. Totally awesome photo's, I love 'em:001_tt1: That near you I take it? What a massive tree. Beautiful flower and cool salamander. Thanks alot!:thumbup::thumbup:

Fairly close. 4 hours drive to Grant's Pass Oregon, and maybe 90 minutes more to the redwoods. I leave about 7 at night, and near midnight, park my truck and trailer at a rest area on a hill above the Oregon California border around midnight. 6 or 7 in the morning, I drive down another hour or so into the redwoods and near noon get my campsite. Reservations are online as of May 1st. In winter, I just go find a spot. Even last weekend when I reserved, 80% of sites were open half the week. There is a redwood motel in Crescent City called the Curly Redwood Lodge that starts at merely $54 per night. Sometimes I stay there a couple of nights. www.curlyredwoodlodge.com

Forgot the Elk ...

The fuzzy antlers look pretty nifty this time of year.

Found a bunch of other stuff, and finally saw the Howland Hill Giant in Jedediah Smith park. Also a redwood called Artemis in Prairie Creek which has a spring like creek running beneath it. Saw 2 species of Trillium flowers I had not known about. Northern California has quite a few wildflowers.

Redwood_Elk_600.jpg.0d5bae6e3fa1910fb3716ac47e4a0824.jpg

Edited by mdvaden