New populus nigra pruning methods

TREELINE

Hi all thought i'd share my experiences pruning a largish pop nigra today for the benefit of all. Oddly enough i've never had the pleasure of doing a reduction on this species of fine trees before and perhaps others can benefit from my thoughts?

I've laid it out in an easy 3 step method for you.

1. climb tree in normal way and establish good anchor point.

2. navigate your way through entire tree in a "lets pretend i'm actually cutting" manner.

Now before i get to point out step 3 I should say that by now you will have snapped most of the smaller inner branches with the power of you breath, finger tips and droplets of sweat.

This stage is vital to complete thoroughly however for the eventual completed shape of the tree.

3. Proceed using the chainsaw on whatever may be left ensuring you leave at least a few twigs behind! Be careful when topping out to aim the top away from completed branches below to avoid ruining your previous efforts from stage 2. There will conveniently be several large gaps in the crown from stage 2 you can aim for.

Surprisingly it turned out alright in the end! Mines a guinness please.:001_tongue:

Yep i would have to concur Mr Tee. One of those situations where i may consider a cherry picker next time!

Nice post.:001_tongue: (Sorry i haven't got back to you about that quercus in St. austell. Hectic week as missus away so juggling school run and work!)

Nice post.:001_tongue: (Sorry i haven't got back to you about that quercus in St. austell. Hectic week as missus away so juggling school run and work!)

No probs m8. Its happy seasoning. Its a great wood there, loads of fungi and mature beech with major faults. We'll meet up there when u have time.

No probs m8. Its happy seasoning. Its a great wood there, loads of fungi and mature beech with major faults. We'll meet up there when u have time.

Yeah thats a definite. If you are heading down that way give us a shout and we'll meet.:001_smile:

You should of posted pics, so others (who obviously never pruned balck pops) could criticise your effforts and say you should of got out further to better get those targets.

I had to prune one not long ago, the spec was to reduce the lateral by 6-8ft or so sounded easy,,,,, it wasn't.