old stock Stihl bar

bolla

I found some old stock Stihl bars at a shop today they were about 48" unpainted with Stihl painted in orange, at first I thought they might be fake but the shop had alot of very old stock so think they may just be very old bars.

Does any one know anything about these old bars.

Thanks

I got a few pictures of the bars, the Stihl logo is in black not orange or red as I first thought. I got 2 of these bars made in Canada and some more 47" bars made in west germany they are solid nose bars.

I also got a box of chains most are 404 some 3/8 but they seem odd lengths (might be why they were all in a box) is there a list of chain lengths for older saws like 090 etc.

DSCF0372.jpg.445e9e2efa4813c13d12ee9c1d598887.jpg

DSCF0373.jpg.ed1676c219a15eef031fdc25e223adc2.jpg

DSCF0374.jpg.0ab8f1e42e20ff3dbcce1a3327e26018.jpg

Hmmm... not a fan of the solid noses on long bars - no idea why Stihl have stayed fixed on making these when they make a 59" sprocket nose bar....

Nose always gets hot then the chain tension starts to play up - goes really tight, you loosen the chain then suddenly it's falling off the bar.

Thanks for reply,

The hole in the end of the bar is that for a helper handle or to some how mount another saw engine?

If a solid nose bar is used for milling and an additional oilier used on the nose would this solve the heat and chain stretch problem?

The chains I got are 404 chains with 137 drive links all the info I can find says 47" 0r 48" stihl bar uses a 138 or 139 drive link chain is it possible these chains are meant to be used with a different size sprocket?

Thanks

Hmmm... not a fan of the solid noses on long bars - no idea why Stihl have stayed fixed on making these when they make a 59" sprocket nose bar....

Nose always gets hot then the chain tension starts to play up - goes really tight, you loosen the chain then suddenly it's falling off the bar.

Solid nose will drag a fair bit of horsepower out of a saw esp if you're milling.

+1. Strong dislike of solid noses.

• 3 months later...

Hello bolla,

I tried to contact you via email and private messaging about the bars you showed in this thread, but so far I was not succesful. In the hopes that you will see this post, I will ask again directly via the forum.

I'm a collector of old Stihl chainsaws and have been after one of these bars for a long time. I was actually searching for a bar with part number 11090009264 but the one you showed also highly interests me (seems like it's direct successor). You mentioned you had several bars and that there is also some variety between them. Would there also be an 11090009264 between them?

In any case, please contact me (my email is in my profile). I would like to discuss if there is a possibility that you could sell me one of those bars to put on my Contra-Lightning GS (see picures below). In my opinion this specific bar would complement the saw very well with the old style logo and it's length. It was also used in an old ad (4th picture) which is why I have been after it for so long.

IMG_2976-2.jpg

IMG_2971.jpg

IMG_2972.jpg

gs6.jpg

Thanks for reply,

The hole in the end of the bar is that for a helper handle or to some how mount another saw engine?

If a solid nose bar is used for milling and an additional oilier used on the nose would this solve the heat and chain stretch problem?

The chains I got are 404 chains with 137 drive links all the info I can find says 47" 0r 48" stihl bar uses a 138 or 139 drive link chain is it possible these chains are meant to be used with a different size sprocket?

Thanks

The stellite block near the nose is for a helper handle to be mounted, I have a bar a few sizes up, and waving them around on the 1106/1109 series saws definitely needs a helper handle!

I don't know how you'd add an auxiliary oiler as there is no way to feed into the bar, and the steel used is incredibly hard so adding any additional feed holes is almost impossible!

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk