My first strimmer / brush cutter

clv101

I'm looking to buy my first strimmer / brush cutter but don't really know where to start.

I need to clear around an area of woodland of thick brambles, maintain close cut grass around half an acre of recently planted orchard and fruit bushes and maintain grass paths at an allotment.

I'm keen on the machine being as quiet and efficient as reasonably possible. I also like reliability and warranties! I guess some kind of blade will be needed for the brambles and a line for the grass?

Could someone point me in the right direction with a few recommendations and point out anything I should avoid?

Thanks.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have. A stihl fs 310 and 410 not shure if the 310 is still made. But there good quality have a bit of grunt for brambles they offer a years profetional warrenty i beleave

tri stars are good for brambled. Mulching blades are avalible too havent used one tho

You can also get blades for grass but they all come with a line head i think

Thanks all! Could someone point me to a quick primer on 2 and 4 stroke applicable to strimmers and where the Stihl 2 and 4 -mix engines fit in. Budget wise I'm looking to spend up to £300, unless there's a very good reason to spend more.

Forget 4-mix for a start and im sure some others will agree, prob not all. You have to scream them as no low down torque and can be problamatic.

Personally I would go 2 stroke but that's just me. Cheaper, easier to fix, more straightforward to work on, cheaper to buy and usually a bit more go but a little thirstier and I guess you don't need to mix up fuel. Most of us prob aren't bothered about the fuel mix scenario as we already do it for chainsaws, strimmers hedge trimmers and alike so usually have it on tap anyway.

You won't get a stihl for that money..

???!!! Of course you will, as per here:

Brushcutters / Petrol Brushcutters

but why bother when you can:

Echo SRM265TESU Petrol Brushcutter

No such thing as a domestic brushcutter from echo; all built with the same attention to detail and all straight shaft machines have a solid driveshaft unlike S&H :001_rolleyes:...

Forget 4-mix for a start and im sure some others will agree, prob not all. You have to scream them as no low down torque and can be problamatic.

Personally I would go 2 stroke but that's just me. Cheaper, easier to fix, more straightforward to work on, cheaper to buy and usually a bit more go but a little thirstier and I guess you don't need to mix up fuel. Most of us prob aren't bothered about the fuel mix scenario as we already do it for chainsaws, strimmers hedge trimmers and alike so usually have it on tap anyway.

Second that. Avoid 4-mix.