Recommended electric chainsaw

Lloyd Jerrey

I've used a Titan 18" from Screwfix, available on offer at £49.99 - I paid £59.99 a couple of years back. I was very sceptical about an electric saw, but since I'd just put 4Kw of solar panels on my shed, I thought it would be nice to get free cutting back at the shed! I also bought a Machine Mart electro-hydraulic vertical splitter at the same time.

The Titan saw has been tremendous, just two days ago I cut some rings off a 22" diameter Leylandii stump that had been lying in my neighbours field for 2 years. It was dead hard but the saw did it without too much problem! Again I was amazed. I must have cut up about 25 cu yards of firewood since I've had it , mostly in the 75 to 250mm range (hedge laying waste mainly) but some larger stuff. A real mix of birch, hazel, blackthorn, hawthorn, sycamore, lilac, oak, ash, elder, lots of willow, alder & a fair bit of Leylandii that my neighbour had felled (he won't burn softwood for some reason, so it all comes to me if I fetch it!)

Well a lot quieter than than the Husky 136 I was using before! And don't mention my "man's saw" the Homelite Super XL 12 that I reckon has an amplifier not a silencer! But Our neighbours about 600 yds away.

There's a bit of electric "whirr" with them but I suppose they are about the same as a Hoover overall. It's a 2Kw motor IIRC. I wouldn't have thought semi-detached neighbours could reasonably complain if used say between 09:00 to 20:00?

and with an electric chainsaw there is also the option of cutting up inside a garage/shed to cut the noise down further if the neighbours are a bit sensitive (something that you can't do with a petrol chainsaw of course). I have used a Stihl E220, it is powerful, expensive and quite noisy, but at least it doesn't sound like a petrol chainsaw. I tried a few of the smaller electric chainsaws quite a few years ago (e.g. black and decker) but they all overheated after about 15 mins. It is possible to make the E220 trip the overload if pushed too hard for too long, but generally it just keeps on going. You just need to keep an eye on the oil since there is no petrol to run out as a reminder :)

Others have said in the past that they think that the vibes are a bit high since no AV, but I would imagine that there various chain options to help reduce this and anti vibe gloves are an option.

The Stihl mse220 is by far the best and most expensive. The Makita/Dolmar and Husqvarna are probably next best in quality and are about half the cost. Those are also variable speed. I have an old Echo rated at 3.25 horse (good luck with that) that is very lightweight but has less power than the others mentioned. It has been worked hard and hasnt burned up like a lot of the cheaper electrics do. The more amps the better. I have some YouTube video's under sawfun1 or type in mse220.