Stihl ms291

simonm

whats your views on Stihl ms 291? i was looking at the new 261 but i dont fancy all that m-tronic pap! :confused1:

Bought a 261 about a month ago. Cracking saw. I was dubious about the techno stuff but so far been great. Starts first pull every time and idles as it should. No regrets buying it.

The 291 is a "homeowner" class saw, with a plastic case and a clamshell style engine. It also is heavier than the (already heavy and bulky for a 50cc pro saw) 261.

However, it looks like a better saw than the MS290, that it replaced.

If I had to buy a Stihl saw in that class it no doubt would be a 261cm, but in the real world I would buy the much neater, lighter and handier Husky 550xp. :wink:

There are a few questions you have to ask yourself regarding m-tronic/autotune, first will you run more than one bar length? No > you're fine without it. Yes > Do you own a tachometer? Yes > you're fine without autotune. No > get a saw that tunes itself. Too many people think swapping bars over is just as simple as that, but the mixture leans and richens with bar length.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

The 291 is a "homeowner" class saw, with a plastic case and a clamshell style engine. It also is heavier than the (already heavy and bulky for a 50cc pro saw) 261.

However, it looks like a better saw than the MS290, that it replaced.

If I had to buy a Stihl saw in that class it no doubt would be a 261cm, but in the real world I would buy the much neater, lighter and handier Husky 550xp. :wink:

And how long had Stihl been making that 290? 25 years? Gezuz - and it sill sold for too much. I remember being in the dealership when I was 19, 26 years ago nearly, and they were trying to tell me the 029 super was better than the 268xp. Whatever. I paid 100$ more and got twice the saw with less weight. Granted, $100 was a lot for this kid back then.

Stick with the 261CM. Make sure you do not buy the non MTronic 261, as it is unimpressive in most aspects you would use a 50cc saw for.