Log splitter hydraulic to PTO

Ashes_Firewood

I've got a log splitter that runs off the tractor hydraulics and I'm wondering if I'd be able to have a pump running off the PTO that I could connect the splitters hydraulic hoses to so I could use an old Ford 4000 we've got to power it instead. But then still be able to disconnect it from the pump when I want to use it on other tractors that do have hydraulic spools.

Basically want the option to run off PTO or hydraulics depending which tractor I'm using... and the PTO pump etc. wouldn't need to be attached to the splitter, it could be stand alone.

What would I need? Is it all plug and play type parts I can buy and plug together myself or would I need someone to fabricate something for me? Not got a clue!

Thanks

• Thanks 1

I've got a log splitter that runs off the tractor hydraulics and I'm wondering if I'd be able to have a pump running off the PTO that I could connect the splitters hydraulic hoses to so I could use an old Ford 4000 we've got to power it instead. But then still be able to disconnect it from the pump when I want to use it on other tractors that do have hydraulic spools.

Basically want the option to run off PTO or hydraulics depending which tractor I'm using... and the PTO pump etc. wouldn't need to be attached to the splitter, it could be stand alone.

What would I need? Is it all plug and play type parts I can buy and plug together myself or would I need someone to fabricate something for me? Not got a clue!

Thanks

You just need

One tank

Suction and Pressure Hose

Relief Valve if there isnt one on your splitter

One Pump, and if you go for the type that fits straight on the PTO shaft at the tractor, you dont need to complicate the thing with bearings.

If you choose a big enough pump you will get plenty of output without needing the revs, which will save you gallons of fuel

Im bound to have forgotten something,

Couplings if you really do want to connect to tractor hydraulics again, but you may find one pump is easier to put connect than two pipes.

OH yes, A filter (usually goes in the tank)

Thanks, photos would help. I'll be honest Rods post went a bit over my head :blushing:

sorry, never was any good at explaining myself:001_smile:

Hydraulic PTO Gearbox with Group 3 Pump 83.75 l/min ZZ000486 Free UK&EU Delivery | eBay

this sort of pump goes on the back of the tractor, saves messing about with shafts and bearings, this one may be a bit large, it depends on the size of your splitter how much flow you need.

you could buy one of these types of pumps pictured, presume you have a spool valve on the splitter itself with connecting input/output pipes that fit the tractors back end spools.

I think the circuit would be splitter spool valve return oil pipe (which you already have) coupled (plug and play) to a new return pipe into reservoir. then a connecting output from reservoir to pump. And another pipe connecting pump back to splitters spool valve input pipe (coupled here again for easy plug and play).

I'm no expert mind.

pto-pump-for-backhoe-277.jpg.cc2cfc422b32aa2828ec1c11d0017129.jpg

57199638_604082ade9.jpg.e1be737868dc2572f7a2eba7b0ca7690.jpg

Photos below as promised. The frame on the pump sits over a lift arm to stop the whole pump rotating. The fittings on the tank can cater for both the old "dowty" connection and the current quick release fittings. Whilst our tank is on a 3 point linkage it lives on its pallet and just gets placed behind whichever tractor is driving it. Extension pipes on the splitter mean that the tractor can be outside whilst the splitting can be done inside.

Why use a pto pump when you have a tractors?

1) The capacity of the pump far exceeds that delivered by the internal hydraulic system of smaller tractors (135 996 B3030 etc) and so it can work all day at tickover. It saves thrashing a small tractor or wasting a big one, provides a big fuel saving and dramatically reduces the noise of operation.

2) Multiple tractors can be used on the splitter without cross contamination of the internal hydraulics; the splitter works as a closed system.

P9100003.jpg.18f231a90783b4cda9fb10b126b87ea1.jpg

P9100002.jpg.222574b0f276cc9df880a28e11be56c4.jpg

P9100001.jpg.e09251f364132635d73eb213554e0c7d.jpg

• Thanks 1

It probably stands me at about £500 - £600. It was part of an irrigation rig that we had but the rest was sold off. I have no idea what it would cost to make up from scratch.

I don't know if you have 3 phase but we have now made up the same sort of system with an very big electric motor driving the pump. This has cost around £300 to build inc all the fittings and oil. I picked up the main unit from a massive paper guillotine for peanuts. This is even quieter, cleaner and (I suspect) cheaper to run. If you have 3 phase then it may be worth thinking about.