loler inspection course

andy goddard

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Treevolution is best bet what cost were you expecting? what experience do you have? have you been to college/uni etc it's a great help if you have, as Liam will tell u the pass rate for the exam is around 50%. You'll also learn on the course that the NPTC doesn't mean that you are 'a competent person to carry out a thorough examination' of all arboricultural equipment, the course teaches & assesses candidates on the basics & does not go into depth on splice inspection, static ropes, kermantle ropes certain ascenders etc etc, it is then YOUR responsibility to ensure you are competent to inspect the equipment presented to you, you can of course defer decisions on items of equipment which you are uncertain. If you'd like any more information on loler inspecting send me a pm with your phone no & I’ll be more than happy to help. Yours, Mike Popham of loleruk

does not go into depth on splice inspection, static ropes, kermantle ropes certain ascenders etc etc, it is then YOUR responsibility to ensure you are competent to inspect the equipment presented to you,

How can you prove you are competent if you havent been taught how to inspect certain gear?

there are several places that do the nptc loler stuff

look through nptc site or give them a ring

the absolute arb co are exellent if you can find them if not pm and i will give you email

TKF tim kirk forestry also run them

as i am sure others do

How can you prove you are competent if you havent been taught how to inspect certain gear?

good question, short answer, there isn't one the law surounding this is a minefield, one thing is certain though, in court i'd hate to be on the losing side. It realy relies on inspectors being responsable, there is no harm in admiting that you don't know and when i did my loler exam at treevo liam & richard realy stressed that point & quite rightly so. There are loler inspectors out there who have gone to great lengths speaking to manufacture's, training companies, expert whitnesses, rigger & splicers, reading legislation etc etc and do a great job of inspecting equipment, there are also those who arn't quite so responsable or knowlegable, many people have proposed the NPTC be toughened up this, however, seems 'impractical' ..........what have i been writing? the short answer was visit my web site loleruk.com and have me inspect your equipment safe in the knowlege u r getting some1 truly competent & fully insured (PI, EL & PL)

So the main problem with all the Loler controversy is the fact the loler recommend your climbing kit is inspected every 6 months by a competent person but then dont state what that person should know or what standards they should be trained to.

I would hazard at a guess that anyone who knows a decent lawyer neednt bother getting there gear inspected every 6 months since if they do end up in court there would be no case against them!

I know I have gone on about this loler thing in many threads before and I'm sure most are bored of it by now but it just seems a bit of a joke to me.

People paying to go on these training courses are not shown all the equipment they are supposed to check, they arent given proper guidance on how to record there inspections and at the end of it they arent really classified as competent!

Are well I'm off to bed to think happy thoughts (the missus is out on the piss :001_tongue:)

So the main problem with all the Loler controversy is the fact the loler recommend your climbing kit is inspected every 6 months by a competent person but then dont state what that person should know or what standards they should be trained to.

I would hazard at a guess that anyone who knows a decent lawyer neednt bother getting there gear inspected every 6 months since if they do end up in court there would be no case against them!

I know I have gone on about this loler thing in many threads before and I'm sure most are bored of it by now but it just seems a bit of a joke to me.

People paying to go on these training courses are not shown all the equipment they are supposed to check, they arent given proper guidance on how to record there inspections and at the end of it they arent really classified as competent!

Are well I'm off to bed to think happy thoughts (the missus is out on the piss :001_tongue:)

unfortunately not, that part of the law is clear, it is also just that: LAW. do you by chance know what standards your chainsaw you use must comply with by law? chain brake? anti vib mounts? chain catcher? nope, none of those it must have a hand guard, a clearly marked on off switch & ppe stickers. the rest is best practice.

So, according to your 'half decent' lawyer you'd be fine in court if your employee/subbie cuts himself with a saw which has no chain brake??

To put it in simple terms in court loler has even more weight & you and your lawyer would be obliterated in either of the cases. And if an event unfortunately turns out to be fatal you'd be looking at a jail term since corprate manslaughter was introduced a few years ago. Good luck buddy

(PS the term 'compitent person' is a legal term which refers to 'what that person should know or what standards they should be trained to.'

moreover the legislation needs not to expand on such terms)

Edited by educated arborist
ps