Climbing Rope Length

Honey Bros

Not if you manage the rope properly. If you are on a short rope in a big crown, how do you get down after you've stuck an 020 in your arm?

I certainly dont plan on waiting for a groundie to come up if I did get into trouble, so I always have a rope long enough to get down in a single pitch.

60m is a good length for 11mm. You need enough to reach to the ground, then back up through the canopy and down the other side, save you climbing all the way up in order to get to the other side of the tree.

Like pete say, its rope management. A groundie that can and will flake your rope back into a neat pile or back into the bag is useful too.

A 37m is good for routine work and a 45m 13mm for take downs is ideal.

Honey Bros- hi guys, I think you should look into spliced eye sizes also. Tight is good but it helps if you can fit a ropeguide retreiver ball through the eye as well as a karabiner, but also long eyes are good too, like a good four inch eye can be handy!

i work with a 20m, long ropes are ok for poles but a pain in a big crown, imo.

How does that work?

If you allow a rope angle of 30 degrees, you would only be able to get 6m out on a branch that was 8m below your tie in point?

With a steeper angle of rope, say 45 degrees, you'd be looking at only 7m out on a branch 7m below your TIP.

Honey Bros- hi guys, I think you should look into spliced eye sizes also. Tight is good but it helps if you can fit a ropeguide retreiver ball through the eye as well as a karabiner, but also long eyes are good too, like a good four inch eye can be handy!

Getting a bit fancy for off the shelf stocking though, if you want to specify the size of the eye I would have thought you would go to a shop that offers custom splicing?

Did not know that.

Just presumed since the initial question was regarding off the shelf products.

A bit more choice in splices would be good, the Yale factory splices for instance are too big to be good as tight eyes, and too small to be useful as long ones....