Brown needles on yew?

Verena

Anyone knows what this is?

It's a yew, a section of it turning brown, but this year's shoots don't seem to be affected at all, and so isn't about 75% of the tree.

Yew Dieback due to a fungus? Apparently this can also happen if roots are rotting, or even if the area by the tree is used as a "toilet"?

Thank you!

5976621b7cd69_DSC00727800x600.jpg.e5d1837a7aae2898a9bdcf8d7b67132c.jpg

5976621b7a7d8_DSC00723800x600.jpg.c054c2510a976ed40f19a121e7dca92e.jpg

5976621b7616c_DSC00722800x600.jpg.22ae072c62a58ed661f922e53baf117a.jpg

Always give Yew the benefit of the doubt, I nearly felled one that was very brown all over, ground level around it had lifted by more than a foot, we were late getting to it and I noticed it looked a little less brown.

Its now in rude health!!!!!

if it was fire related, surely the browning would be more uniform than indicated in the close up?

Our yew that got burned by an overly large bonfire a couple of years ago showed a very uniform brown on the ends of the branches closest to the fire :blushing:

O.K. Just a guess .

if it was fire related, surely the browning would be more uniform than indicated in the close up?

Our yew that got burned by an overly large bonfire a couple of years ago showed a very uniform brown on the ends of the branches closest to the fire :blushing:

Thats why "the first pic alone" came into it, that section looks browner to me than the close ups, though its not that clear.:001_smile:

The patch of ground behind the mahonia does look a bit black too.

I have seen alot of yews showing the symptoms in the close ups though and would like to know what it is.

Right next to me we have possibly the largest, and I think the oldest block of yew in the country ( could be wrong here ) Kingly Vale , South downs West Sussex . Will take the dog up there and see if there are any affected trees there .