British Army Fitness Guide

Quickthorn

I'm wanting to improve fitness a bit, and decided that the job as it is doesn't give me enough of the right exercise. yes, it wears me out on some days, but I think I could be fitter. I've seen the kettlebell thread and others, but don't want to invest in a load of gear (or even gym membership) just to have it gathering dust 6 months later if/when I've lost interest in it. So, I was wondering if anyone has got this?

[ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Official-British-Army-Fitness-Guide/dp/085265118X/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=GDT47GL2HWRQ&coliid=IX92W529ATUR4]Official British Army Fitness Guide[/ame]

There are a few booklets based on the guide here:

Booklets

What appeals to me is that it seems to be all stuff that can be done mostly at home with very little special equipment bar a good set of running shoes. The individual exercises are pretty old school, but on my own I wouldn't have much of an idea about putting together proper training sessions, so that's why I'm more interested in the actual programme they've put together, plus the fitness measurement sessions that split it up (so you've got an idea of whether you're improving).

It is a well laid out book. Gave it a good go for a couple of weeks last year until my back called it a day(Not through the training).

I'm going to give it another shot now that i'll be going on to winter hours and that i've found the book! (Cheers had a good rummage to see if it was the same book)

Having a programme and a way of measuring improvements is the way to go.

You will soon be doing press ups with your pinkies. :thumbup1:

Thanks for the replies.

I went for the Army guide in the end - it came today. The marines book looks pretty good too - i wish I'd seen that 30 yrs ago.

I started on it all last week. I did ok on the 2 min sit up/press up tests, scoring "very good" for my age group. The 1.5 mile run was a different matter - it was very hard work and took over 13 mins = poor, so I've got some work to do. It just goes to show that, even with walking what must be 2-3 miles a day and lifting/dragging/pushing stuff around, it doesn't mean to say that you are fit.

With the 1.5m run the time depense on ur age, so uf u was in an non infantry role a male under 30 would have to do it in 10-10.5min , infantry is 9.5 if i remember corrently. Once your over 30 u get another .5 min added to ur time the older u get the long u get to complete it in etc. beening that i dont know ur age 13 mins maybe rite bud. If not keep working at it bud. Change the running routine so it keeps ur mind alert and short sharp run will cut ur time down further

With the 1.5m run the time depense on ur age, so uf u was in an non infantry role a male under 30 would have to do it in 10-10.5min , infantry is 9.5 if i remember corrently. Once your over 30 u get another .5 min added to ur time the older u get the long u get to complete it in etc. beening that i dont know ur age 13 mins maybe rite bud. If not keep working at it bud. Change the running routine so it keeps ur mind alert and short sharp run will cut ur time down further

:thumbup:

Even in my age group of 45-49, over 13:30 is down as poor, so there's room for improvement. Like you say, only one way to get better - keep at it.

20 years ago, I could do 10 k in 42 mins. I've got no real joint problems, so I'm hoping to get back to that sort of level. :001_smile:

I'd be aiming to get that mile and a half run time to around the 10 minute mark! I ran it in 10 minutes when I done my selection at Pirbright and I wasn't THAT fit, I mean I wasn't no where near the back of the pack but there was lads miles ahead of me...

Try some longer runs say 3 miles every other day and test your mile and a half once a fourtnight and watch it improve :)

Intervals are by far the best way to get your run times down. Try running like this:

4 min 30 - normal jog/medium run

30 seconds - sprint like hell

Repeat

Do this for 20 minutes at a time to begin with (too long and you run a serious risk of shin splints/plantar fasciitis/ileotibial band problems) and work up over about 8 weeks to doing it 3 times a week for an hour. The minutes will iterally drop off your 1.5 mile times.

Intervals are by far the best way to get your run times down. Try running like this:

4 min 30 - normal jog/medium run

30 seconds - sprint like hell

Repeat

Do this for 20 minutes at a time to begin with (too long and you run a serious risk of shin splints/plantar fasciitis/ileotibial band problems) and work up over about 8 weeks to doing it 3 times a week for an hour. The minutes will iterally drop off your 1.5 mile times.

Definitely agree. I used to do a lot of this when I did run, but this wasnearly 20 years ago :blushing:. Varying the distance/times sprinting helps as well.

The other one was hill training. where you belted uphill as fast as possible, then jogged/staggered down.