My longest runner bean...

Marko

Had a go at growing 'the longest runner bean' for our local show. The good news is that I have just cut a 27" bean (best last year I managed was 19"). The bad news is that the competition is a few weeks off and I doubt it will keep that long. :001_rolleyes:

Anyone else having a go?

Which strain of runner are you growing? Scarlet Emporer are an old favourite, but we're trying Enorma this year, the beans are larger as a rule. Trouble is we've sold bean plants all over the area, so competition may be fierce. Plus our veg show isn't until Sept either.

Had a go at growing 'the longest runner bean' for our local show. The good news is that I have just cut a 27" bean (best last year I managed was 19"). The bad news is that the competition is a few weeks off and I doubt it will keep that long. :001_rolleyes:

Anyone else having a go?

Gosh! My wife has been growing runner beans for 40 years and this year has been (no pun intended) the worst ever. Only 3 plants out of 36 have gotten above 3' in height and only 8 spindly little beans harvested to date.

All the outdoor plants failed to survive the weather but I had four left over and they went into the poly tunnel. (Two of the four grew well but have not produced anything but the other two have been good). You never know one of the remaining beans might come good in time for the show. The seed was "clive bevan giant vegetable seed".

I also tried his marrow seed but panicked and grew on the first marrows which set. Should have waited a bit.

My own giant pumpkins are plodding on with the light levels being so poor but hopefully we should still get a big un. I had a 1138lb one in 2010 but just failed to get over the 1000lb last year. No piccie of the bean as I have taken out the seed for next year but here is one of the 2010 big pumpkin:

2010-pumpkin-winner.jpg.959855fcc19d0c2a32c6d07f670c0b84.jpg

I have had a go at some big onions this year as well. First time with onions ever and my biggest onion measures 21" circumference as of this morning. I was told that over 24" is the usual 'target' for competitions but I am pleased with it and it seems to be still growing albeit very slowly.

If anyone has any tips for growing beans or onions I would love to hear them.

Gosh! My wife has been growing runner beans for 40 years and this year has been (no pun intended) the worst ever. Only 3 plants out of 36 have gotten above 3' in height and only 8 spindly little beans harvested to date.

Ours are pathetic too, normally get a heavy crop and this year a few flowers have only just appeared, several lots just got demolished by slugs!