Spiderjack 2.1 Dyneema issue

Lancstree

This may well need to turn into a warning thread.

First thing I noticed was a bit of wear on the dyneema sling near the little anchor ring. Then it was apparent that the red adapter that contains the sling was very loose.

This is what I think has happened. The red adapter ring has come loose (unknown reason), then this has allowed the anchor ring at the end of the sling to grate up against the edge of the spiderjack body causing it to form a sharp edge, which in turn has been cutting away at the dyneema sling. I inspected our second climbers setup which is exactly the same but has only been used in an aerial rescue practice - so nearly new. The way we have the rubber stoppers on the carabiner might explain why the adapter has come loose. The pictures below will show this.

Anybody with a spiderjack 2.1 dyneema, be extra vigilant when inspecting it.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry about the quality of the pics.

Here you can see the arrangement of the rubber stoppers and how it is causing the sling to come slightly out of alignment. Could be a cause of the red adapter coming loose. Notice how far the adapter has come out. When the main lever is depressed during use the sling comes into contact with the edge of the spiderjack casing

Photo0740.jpg.e50f9fdd8a87586d43a7c930004afb0e.jpg

Edited by Lancstree
More detail

I would like to add that I noticed the start of the same wear on the second climbers spiderjack casing but the dyneema was fully intact. I changed the arrangement of the rubber stoppers so that one was in between the anchor ring and the main spiderjack connection. During use this was more in-line and the casing did not seem to contact the sling anywhere near as much.