A honest quote.

leafcut

Hi, I visited a site where the client has a very large beech tree bang in the middle of his front lawn. The tree is subject to tpo status. My estimate is that its girth at 5ft is 9ft plus, about 4 ft 6" accross, the height is in excess of 90 ft, the canopy is enormous with some really big long branches. Under the tree are two double BT lines at right angles, including poles and a conservatory, two chest high fences and a single track road, which is a little off the beaten track, due to these, every single bough will have to be lowered as well as the blocking down of the main trunk. I know a picture says a thousand words but the tree simply is enormous and is the biggest on the hill. There is a slight lean to the tree as well as a vertical 8ft part healed scar on the lower section of the trunk. The owner reports his front lawn "moving" during reasonable winds.His house is subject to 50-60% permanent shade due to the trees location there being mould over most of the roof and walls. At least 2/3 s of the root system has interference from walls, the road and other obstacles. Simply put-the job is enormous and a right B*****D, Fortunately there are no traffic management issues. My question then is, doing a whole take down/dismantle employing 2 groundies-for a full 3 days including clean up etc, what would be the net charge to the customer ?. Obviously we will not bring in any monies made from the sale of the wood and a presumption that any tpo application would be succesful/accepted. Serious observations please, regards...Nick Pearson, Timberline-Roe Ltd.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is your normal line of work????:confused1:

Do you not generally do tree work??????:confused1:

It seems you know how long it will take and surly knowing that tells you how much it will cost you to do it, add to that the profit you wish to make on that amount of time and you have your price :001_smile:

What is your normal line of work????:confused1:

Do you not generally do tree work??????:confused1:

It seems you know how long it will take and surly knowing that tells you how much it will cost you to do it, add to that the profit you wish to make on that amount of time and you have your price :001_smile:

Simply put skyhook, I find the job daunting-having not done such a big tree previously. We have all been pipped re quotes, and would genuinely like to know what others would charge...Nick.

If it's as big as you make out, how the hell will you get it down in 3 days if it has to be rigged?

I've done large (not massive) Beech dismantles that took three days with some rigging and a really big tree with rigging does take 5/6 days.

As far as price goes, you know what your fixed costs are then add your profit for some major graft, then add 20% (cos you've underestimated the time it takes to rig down. Sorry).

You don't want to under price big jobs cos you'll end up working a day or two for free.

I always look at a big job quickly and think how fast could I get it done. Then I double the figure as that is the reality of how long it will take.

If it's as big as you make out, how the hell will you get it down in 3 days if it has to be rigged?

I've done large (not massive) Beech dismantles that took three days with some rigging and a really big tree with rigging does take 5/6 days.

As far as price goes, you know what your fixed costs are then add your profit for some major graft, then add 20% (cos you've underestimated the time it takes to rig down. Sorry).

You don't want to under price big jobs cos you'll end up working a day or two for free.

I always look at a big job quickly and think how fast could I get it done. Then I double the figure as that is the reality of how long it will take.

Good advice, yes, on reflection it would probably take 4-5 days, there is a serious incline for vehicle access and some serious manouvering issues, this would prove to be a serious problem when the firewood chap has to collect. The job on the whole is a nightmare, thanks all the same...Nick.

Biggest beech I ever did took 2 weeks, it was 26' around the base and covered 4 gardens.

3 man team, the job was 1minute from my yard.

No lowering, just crashity crash but the carry was brutal, terraced back gardens and out a tiny gate.

I got £3k and this was 11 years ago.

Hi, I visited a site where the client has a very large beech tree bang in the middle of his front lawn. The tree is subject to tpo status. My estimate is that its girth at 5ft is 9ft plus, about 4 ft 6" accross, the height is in excess of 90 ft, the canopy is enormous with some really big long branches. Under the tree are two double BT lines at right angles, including poles and a conservatory, two chest high fences and a single track road, which is a little off the beaten track, due to these, every single bough will have to be lowered as well as the blocking down of the main trunk. I know a picture says a thousand words but the tree simply is enormous and is the biggest on the hill. There is a slight lean to the tree as well as a vertical 8ft part healed scar on the lower section of the trunk. The owner reports his front lawn "moving" during reasonable winds.His house is subject to 50-60% permanent shade due to the trees location there being mould over most of the roof and walls. At least 2/3 s of the root system has interference from walls, the road and other obstacles. Simply put-the job is enormous and a right B*****D, Fortunately there are no traffic management issues. My question then is, doing a whole take down/dismantle employing 2 groundies-for a full 3 days including clean up etc, what would be the net charge to the customer ?. Obviously we will not bring in any monies made from the sale of the wood and a presumption that any tpo application would be succesful/accepted. Serious observations please, regards...Nick Pearson, Timberline-Roe Ltd.

Drop the BT lines, increase your DZ.

Still sounds like 3 days if you could straight fell it without big kit on the ground.

Listen to Stevie.

More importantly, listen to Tone. Might be a non-starter with the TPO.

Every serious cutter on here will tell you they have won similar jobs then realised they have seriously underpriced them by the end.

Telling someone it will cost five thousand pounds to take a tree down is not for the faint-hearted, even if that is the reality.