HSE guarding guidance for static band racks (Stenner and other lesser makes :) )

wills-mill

Health and safety in sawmilling

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/priced/hsg172.pdf

Looked at as a whole this is quite a handy book, although the safeguards for fully mechanised mills are beyond most of us here I would reckon.

We've been puzzling over section 69 (page 15) and the photos at the top of page 16. We're happy that we could relocate the controls for the table travel and that we could extend the shaft for operating the blade guard, but we're not sure how awkward it'll make life when levering timber up to the fence and doing anything other than basic log breakdown and straightening.

Has anyone fitted an 'impeding device'/ spacing bar and have you got any comments about how it affects work, accuracy and output...?

Thanks for posting, although I have no thoughts on the content yet, cheers J

No prob- It's a document that's worth munching through..... Sawmill work doesn't have the college training system or the work based NPTC type training that most of us woody folk have grown up with.

I've certainly not seen that many different static mill setups and it would nice to try and work out how different mills are laid out.

I suspect that:

Available Building Space and handling kit,

Budget,

Available Timber,

Type of Sawn Timber Produced,

Power Supply,

Part time/ Full time use

are the deciding issues for most rustic/ estate static mills that have to turn out a mixture of produce.

• 2 weeks later...