Welcome to the Arbtalk.co.uk | Discussion Forum for Arborists.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

General chat Discuss every day issues in the tree care industry. If you're unsure where to post your topic please choose this forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16-07-12   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle sponsor 2010, 2013

5837 rpa's?

Ok, maybe I am looking at this wrongly through sleep deprived eyes, but:
- BS5837 section 4.4.2.6 says measure stem diameters to the nearest 10mm
- section 4.6.1 says diameters measured in accordance with annex C, and RPA determined from annex D
- annex D has diameters in increments of 25mm, so that RPA radii (is that even a word?!) increase by 0.3m a time, for ease of laying out protection on site presumably.

Should RPA's be taken from annex D, or is it just a guide? Or, should they simply be plotted on the TPP as 12 times stem diameter?
Thoughts and opinions please.....
Old 16-07-12   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle Sponsor 2010, 2012

Re: 5837 rpa's?

I think that Annex D has been added to the recently revised BS5837 in order to simplify things a bit tbh.

So from my understanding, you measure the stem diameter and round the figure up to the nearest increment in Annex D, and plot the RPA (radius or area) using that.

I use software that does it for you

My opinion on it anyway, hope this helps
Old 16-07-12   #3 (permalink)
Site Moderator, Raffle sponsor 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Re: 5837 rpa's?

The thinking behind rounding up RPAs to the nearest 10mm is to try and stop people submitting reports with RPAs specified to the nth degree. I imagine most people calculate the RPAs using a formula in Excel but don't bother to edit it to a sensible level of accuracy before copying the tree data table in to their reports!

The table in Annexe D makes it easier to determine a RPA without doing the calculations yourself, but personally I'll still use my own calculations as I find this quicker.

The fun(!) bit is doing the maths for multi-stemmed trees now!
Old 16-07-12   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle sponsor 2010, 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezy View Post
I think that Annex D has been added to the recently revised BS5837 in order to simplify things a bit tbh.

So from my understanding, you measure the stem diameter and round the figure up to the nearest increment in Annex D, and plot the RPA (radius or area) using that.

I use software that does it for you

My opinion on it anyway, hope this helps

that makes sense, however I can't find any reference to say you must round up to the nearest increment in annex D?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Barton View Post
The thinking behind rounding up RPAs to the nearest 10mm is to try and stop people submitting reports with RPAs specified to the nth degree. I imagine most people calculate the RPAs using a formula in Excel but don't bother to edit it to a sensible level of accuracy before copying the tree data table in to their reports!

The table in Annexe D makes it easier to determine a RPA without doing the calculations yourself, but personally I'll still use my own calculations as I find this quicker.

The fun(!) bit is doing the maths for multi-stemmed trees now!
I am trying to set up an Excel spreadsheet to do it for me, somehow incorporating the rounding to annex D figures, if need be. And yes, multistems can be a pita...
Ta