Digital tacographs

Lee Winger

Do any of you guys run or use a lorry with a digital taco?

Are you using it? what software are you using to download your driver card DATA? or do you use a company to download the DATA for you?

I have been told, if i'm not driving further than a 50k radius from my operating centre I don't need to use my taco or fill in a log book. But does this mean if you drive more than 50k's per day you should use your tacograph? I can't seem to get a clear answer to this question!

Another thing i've been told if you use your digital taco then you must take the DATA off the driver card monthly and take the Data off of the digital tacograph every three months, though one bloke I know told me this should be yearly, can anyone clarify this?

THIS COUNTRYS GONE H&S MAD,IMO ITS ALL ONE HUGE BLOODY TAX!....:cussing:

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

sorry quickthorn, only just saw your reply in the other topic

the information i got about arborists not being able to class as forestry and thus needing tacho's and what not, was from my boss in leeds and from a guy i know well who works for the environment agency local to me when im home home.

bearing in mind this is purely for gross train weight exceeing 3500kg

the thing for arborists was that its not a genuine silvicultural or forest harvesting operation, but a commercial 'service' more akin to a landscape gardener.

the friend in the EA confirmed this and commented that only true forestry and agricultural purpose were exempt, even they werent!!

and went on to say that their best mog drivers were all leaving the agency because they had to do HGV1 tickets to drive the mogs any longer.

dont shoot the messenger, just what ive been told. i dont know how much of it is concrete by any means

QT, where abouts in lincs are you based?

the friend in the EA confirmed this and commented that only true forestry and agricultural purpose were exempt, even they werent!!

and went on to say that their best mog drivers were all leaving the agency because they had to do HGV1 tickets to drive the mogs any longer.

I find that very hard to belive as in the Midlands the Agency have forked out thousands to train their tractor drivers to C+E licence requirements to drive tractors and trailers. I'm also not aware of any Agency vehicle having to use a Tachograph even the drivers of our grab wagons use Drivers HRS Log books.

But yes you are right that the agency doesn't meet Forestry Exemptions and why would it?? Tree work is a tiny proportion of agency work these days. and neither does a jobbing tree surgeon. If your claiming forestry exemption I belive VOSA can ask for proof of how much of your work is actually forestry.

I find that very hard to belive as in the Midlands the Agency have forked out thousands to train their tractor drivers to C+E licence requirements to drive tractors and trailers. I'm also not aware of any Agency vehicle having to use a Tachograph even the drivers of our grab wagons use Drivers HRS Log books.

think weve got wires crossed here. for the agency im not on about needing or not needing tachos. im just on about the mog drivers needing HGV tickets and a lot of them werent prepared to do that and left. again, only what ive been told. but it is true that a unimog for any function other than farm or forestry now needs white diesel on the road and an HGV ticket to drive it

Were not at cross purposes at all I work for the Agency, I know we run all kit as HGV's and use white derv, We don't use tacho's we use Log books.

What I said I couldn't belive is that skilled men would sooner leave a job that go on a course paid for by the agency, that then gives them a driving licece for life! All the lads down here snapped there hands off as when the agency disappears down the swanny they have a bloody great safety net a HGV class 1 licence they must have been mad to turn it down

seems like it was me who was at crossed purposes there Matt, sorry mate,

i very much agree, i would love an HGV ticket myself especially if someone else is paying, but again, like i said, dont shoot the messenger. I know you work for the agency and i only have what ive been told. i did get the impression these were older guys, but even so!

but back onto topic, the more relevant bit of what i had to bring to the discussion was that tree surgeons cant claim forestry exemptions, because they just arent forestry.