temporary bus stop

jose

I have to quote to work on some trees over a bus stop, just raising them really but its a constant busy road with an equally busy pedestrian /cycle path. Its busy at least 6 days a week (not been there on a sunday) otherwise i would do it on a saturday.

Its located outside a major council civic centre, and i have had no end of trouble with all types of managers coming out and causing me trouble even though its not there department.

On top its next to a registery office who kick us off site due to the noise even though we tell our site contact of our intended dates and times.

Got 2 questions really.

1) is it possible to get the bus stop moved say 50 yards down the road for the day and if so how much does this cost?

2)will probably need to have traffic lights setup, how much is the hire of these these days? (for 1 day only set up)

All help much appreciated!

Jose

Sorry can't help with the costs side of things, but regarding closure of a bus stop and re-locating a temporary stop, you usually have to approach the areas PTA/PTE Passenger Transport Authority/Executive. It can take some time from notification, as the PTA/E have to notify all of the bus companies that use the stop, so that they can reschedule their bus timetables.

If its a busy road as you suggest, then you may also need to contact the LA's highways dept. to discuss your plans about setting up temp lights and road restrictions. Especially if its in front of a civic building and a registrary office. The LA have responsibility for the running of both these building as well as the regulating the highway. Perhaps make the Highways Dept your first port of call as they may well liase with the PTA/E on your behalf.

You might be better considering doing the job on a Sunday if you think it will only take a day to complete. Both the Civic centre and reg office will likely be closed and traffic & bus routes will be much quieter. The LA might even insist upon it.

I remember being in a similar situation a few years ago on a job for Salford Council. Major A road and busy double bus stop layby, with a large ash & oak to reduce from over the roadside. The cost and timescale to close a carriage way and close the bus stops made it prohibitive to consider Mon-Sat. It was cheaper to book two crews on overtime to swoop in Ninja styley on a Sunday. We had two men in the trees, two groundies dragging the brash, and two men in hi-viz controlling the traffice and coralling pedestrians and bus passengers!

Hope this helps.

I agree with GnarlyOak. The Sunday swoop or a night job are sometimes the easiest and most cost effective.

I've got a job planned on an extremely busy junction (if client ever replies) and the only acceptable solution as far as LA, Met Police, London Buses & TfL are concerned is to do the job over three Sundays or one Saturday night.

I've opted for the night job as there's a lot less hassle and everyone gets paid extra.