Galleries

slackbladder

30% with the one i have some of my stuff in, I tell them how much i want for a piece and its up to them to sort the rest if it sells i get payed what i said and if someone ells wants it it still belongs to me so can be taken away at any time, works for me!

I agree about craft fairs, never sell much on the day but is good advertising for both sides of the business treework/craft.

Some outlets I know mark up your prices by 250% which I think is an absolute rip off. It makes your work so expensive that nobody will buy it. Or to keep it at a reasonable retail price they are offering absolute peanuts.

I try to persuade shops/galleries to charge a sensible price so that we both make money out of it. If they are not willing to do that then I dont supply them. You are better off setting up a good website and an ecommerce shop. If the items are too big to post like coffee tables/bookcases etc then people will have to come and view them before they commission an item. Trouble is if you are doing wooden turned or carved bowls rather than something unique then there will always be some back garden turner/carver willing to supply them for 'pocket money ' prices. I refuse to compete in that sort of market and that is why I am looking bleary eyed from trying to set up my web shop. It will be worth the effort though as there wont be a middle man to take a large slice of dosh from me!

I stopped doing big craft/exhibitions fairs a long time ago as the money wasnt there. I used to pay anything up to £1000 for a stand at some shows but wont do that now at all. Sometimes I will still do a small one just to keep in contact with local makers and use it as a marketing excercise to keep my name out there. Sometimes it can be even more profitable than the bigger shows.

Mike