Help! Towing limits for my L200...

TimberCutterDartmoor

After reading here the othe day I've started to worry that I'm breaking the law towing the following: Passed test 1995. Mitsubishi L200 towing indespension twin axle trailer (weighs 700kg unladen) and can carry upto 1.9 tonnes. Generally put 1.2 ton Jenson A530T in it meaning I'm pulling total of 1.9t behind me - am I in trouble???

no you should be fine i think the L200 has a 2.5 tonne tow limit.

you have a pre 1997 licence so towing is already on your licence.

I would check you licence as above post and check with a mitsubishi dealer in regard to towing weight of L200.

just a little point the weight refered to is the potensial weight not the actual weight.

look at the vin plate for your l200 NOT owners manual, there will be 3 numbers with kg after them the big number is the MAM maximum authorised mass aka gross train weight, in other words the truck whats on the back and the trailers potensial.

if you look at the trails vin plate it will tell you the gross weight, that is the number you work with the big one wehther it is loaded or not.

also there is gennerally no legal weight ratio on b class tow rigs but there is common sence, and be causiose how you load the chipper on the trailer as it is still possible to be 'overloaded' as trailers and pic up hitches have 'nose weights', if you put the chipper too far forward so the weight bears down you may overload the nose weight and visa versa if too far back not an overload isssue, but a poor loaded offence same as if you dont rope a load on.

for those of us who live in essexd we have for many years now had some of the most anal, petty, small minded juped up over qualified traffic coppers who spend too much time on telly and not enough time doing the job, and if you drive anything that looks like you are unusual they will pull you and rip you to shreds

then of cource add in vosa and customs both having big offices in the region and god help us all

kev