Cordlyine Palm tree stems

Gareth Dalzell

We've taken down a load of palms recently and have about 3-4 ton of stems between 6" and 18" diameter. Is there anything that they can be used for. We tried cutting and splitting last years ones but by the time we'd come to sell the logs they'd turned to mush. Any ideas or do we just compost them?

We,ve whacked them into short lengths now so no use for carving anything of any size.

I remember last winter they'd been mixed in with other timber logs. When you put your hand into a bulk bag to grab some logs by mid winter they'd started to rot and felt like wet slimey fish - horrible.

I think you're right - composting is looking like the best option. Thanks for the responses. :001_smile:

I felled several the year before last, when cut and split they dried rock hard and burnt very nicely. Dried outdoors in my well ventilated logstore...

I think that may have been the problem with last years. They were cut and split in the same year. Before they dried out properly the got left outside again and acted like sponges.

If I can get them split and somewhere to dry properly I might try your idea.