poor pay

brewx1

Ok, guess as my account is blocked I upset some sensitive souls with comments made on the employment forum regarding what I consider derisory pay.

EVERYBODY on here has their moan about tree surgeons being undervalued, but you obviously can’t comment on that if you’re going to upset the wrong people,

To put things in perspective. As well as trees, I work part time in a theatre, unskilled stage hand stuff. I do it because I enjoy it. Theatre work is notoriously low paid but it’s better than what was been offered for qualified skilled, semi skilled (whatever) tree surgeons, who’ve probably spent their own money to get those qualifications. I’m 42, but the same pay scale applies to a 21 year old.

David Riding, I fully understand employment costs, but that is no excuse, costs are the same for employers in any industry.

As a 21 year old, yes I would have been happy with £18400, More than I was earning then, by around 800 quid . Unskilled labour, construction related…… but that was over twenty years ago!!!!!!!

So I stand by my comments, If it upsets anyone then the best I can do is offer a hanky.

Or am I wrong????????? Will this post get wiped too, before anyone can tell me?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There seems to be a lot of whining on Arbtalk about money.

We are probably all worth twice what we earn, but that's the way it is.

A big company on here recently offered about £7.5/hr to a newbie and were slagged off. Look at the amount of posts from lads offering to work for nothing!

As long as you are offering minimum wage, the rest is down to choice.

I wish I was 18 again giving my Mam £20 a week all found, but just because you're in your 40's with 3 kids doesn't make you worth any more to the bloke who has to come up with your wage every week.

A bit of decorum would have been advised IMO, should have contacted Steve before posting to make sure.

Pay is pay, take it or leave it. Realistically I'm probably on no more than 14000 annul, it's more about the benefits for me, the use of works trailers for clearing rubbish from my house, use of tools if I need them, and the use of workshop space.

I'm happy for the pay I get and it damn well beats the dole, I would be a drunk or on hard drugs if I couldn't work and don't know what I'd do without it.

We have a feedom of choosing what work we do and are not forced into working, I like working as it helps me sleep at night. Knowing I have put in a full day.

So if you want to moan about any pay getting from tree work I suggest you stick to theatre work and leave it, I'm sure there is an unemployed Person out there that would jump at the chance to work in this industry.

Sorry if the last post sounds crude or in some way out of line but it's the way I feel about it.

Ok, guess as my account is blocked I upset some sensitive souls with comments made on the employment forum regarding what I consider derisory pay.

EVERYBODY on here has their moan about tree surgeons being undervalued, but you obviously can’t comment on that if you’re going to upset the wrong people,

To put things in perspective. As well as trees, I work part time in a theatre, unskilled stage hand stuff. I do it because I enjoy it. Theatre work is notoriously low paid but it’s better than what was been offered for qualified skilled, semi skilled (whatever) tree surgeons, who’ve probably spent their own money to get those qualifications. I’m 42, but the same pay scale applies to a 21 year old.

David Riding, I fully understand employment costs, but that is no excuse, costs are the same for employers in any industry.

As a 21 year old, yes I would have been happy with £18400, More than I was earning then, by around 800 quid . Unskilled labour, construction related…… but that was over twenty years ago!!!!!!!

So I stand by my comments, If it upsets anyone then the best I can do is offer a hanky.

Or am I wrong????????? Will this post get wiped too, before anyone can tell me?

Boring post!!!!! Yawn, Yawn!!!