Ideas for a creosote dip tank

Looking for ideas of what to use for a creosote dip tank.My idea is using a old diesel tank cut down but gonna have to be a 10ft tank to take 8ft strainers etc which i plan to mill & treat for my own use.Any body else got a better idea or even a tank for sale??Gonna make a cradle to put timber on to put into tank using forklift.

Need the same but have never come across the right tank to butcher. I had thought of laying out breeze blocks and fitting a visqueen sheet like a pond liner - not a permanent solution but might do the trick for a batch of fence panels.

I have a 45 gall drum for normal stakes, using 6 foot stakes and topping up to full that leaves 6 inches or so of treated still above ground. For strainers I again only do the bit that goes in the ground + 6", I have an old sheep footbath, lay it in and brush it on and let it drip

edit-- we use sweet chestnut, what do you guy use up north?

Edited by farmer rod
general blindness/the late hour

Thirty years ago on the estate I worked we had a 11ftx4ft metal tank which we had a fire below ground level to boil the creosote into the wood all was well till one idiot dropped a cage of stakes and cracked the tank then we had the fire brigade down to put it out.

Need the same but have never come across the right tank to butcher. I had thought of laying out breeze blocks and fitting a visqueen sheet like a pond liner - not a permanent solution but might do the trick for a batch of fence panels.

That's how a friend of mine does the garden sheds he builds, it's been there for years.... not sure it ever gets emptied!!! Concrete blocks laid on their flat onto a concrete base and a liner laid into it. If you wanted to do it a bit better you could paint a damproofing membrane onto the blockwork first before you line it...

Alternatively, for doing them one at a time....and depending on the diameter of your posts... these might JUST fit.... need to cut the centre strut out of the deep trough....

Double Cattle Feeding Trough | David Ritchie (Implements) Ltd - Agricultural

Hot Dip Galvanised Water Troughs 2440mm long | David Ritchie (Implements) Ltd - Agricultural

You would probably find that for a small premium Ritchie [or similar firms] would make a tank to your own dimensions within reason...

Another option would be a large diameter gas pipe cut lengthways. It's weldable so you can weld end caps in. You can often get offcuts from the depot or roadside when they're renewing mains (we use them as mortars for firework shells).

Alec