Welcome to the Arbtalk.co.uk | Discussion Forum for Arborists.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

General chat Discuss every day issues in the tree care industry. If you're unsure where to post your topic please choose this forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-12   #11 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle sponsor 2010, 2011, 2012

Re: Has H&S gone miles too far

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhuck View Post
I really don't think this is true, can you find me one case of equipment failure causing a climbing accident??, yet we have LOLER.
got to agree dave iv never had any climbing/rigging kit fail & i dont know any one that has,
Old 04-05-12   #12 (permalink)
Site Sponsor, Raffle Sponsor 2011, 2012, 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob D View Post
H & S has come about mainly through litigation...

Someone has an accident=someone is sued... report made.... how can we avoid this happening again.... = further risk assessment, more safety devices, a little more red tape, another hoop to jump through...

How about you train someone for a job and then you trust them to do that job unless strong evidence suggests otherwise?
Rob, Please, are you kidding me!, they out lawed common sense a long time ago over here, Have a nice weekend.
easy-lift guy
Old 04-05-12   #13 (permalink)
Raffle Sponsor 2007, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2013

I had a client bang on about my risk assessments etc etc a few weeks ago, I ended up telling the ''jobs worth'' I think it would be better if he found another contractor as I can't be arsed with your stupid requests!
Old 04-05-12   #14 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle Sponsor 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodpicker View Post
got to agree dave iv never had any climbing/rigging kit fail & i dont know any one that has,
Listen up guys, as far a LOLER goes the LO is for lifting opperations, it's not all about you, its not even about arboriculture, it covers all indutries and is way bigger than our little corner of ropes and harnesses.
Old 04-05-12   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy-lift guy View Post
Rob, Please, are you kidding me!, they out lawed common sense a long time ago over here, Have a nice weekend.
easy-lift guy
Do they have risk assessments in the USA
Old 04-05-12   #16 (permalink)

I can see the point of loler. A trained eye physically checking lifting gear has a point in safe guarding your life. What annoys me is a geek with a clip board and no experience of what you have been trained in and fine tuned over many years demanding you write down pigeon fashion your intended actions on site. Sometimes it feels like they are compiling a manual for a low paid idiot with poor grasp of english to try and follow. The idea that H&S is a european thing goes out the window when you see builders in flip flops using sticks for scaffolding around the med. H&S really got going during the labour government time could this have been their new trade union idea to slow the country down to a crawl.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Loggyw...9059086?ref=ts

LOGGYWOOD FIREWOOD AND WHOLESALE KINDLING PRODUCERS
Old 04-05-12   #17 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle Sponsor 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloth View Post
No. But...
Loler applies to more than just climbing equipment, any gear that holds you or equipment off the ground is i think covered. The guy who took my mewp course while Loler inspecting cherry pickers has seen cracked welding, missing or loose bolts, disabled safety devices etc. This could well have prevented accidents.
I know most of us can check our own gear and are happy with that, but Loler does have a place in preventing equipment failure related accidents, and some people just don't check their own gear, blind faith in it guides them!
I know of a Botex crane that snapped and fell of the forwarder 2 weeks after it passed its annual LOLER inspection.

Others may differ

90% of being a good Dad is just turning up.
Old 04-05-12   #18 (permalink)
Site Sponsor, Raffle Sponsor 2011, 2012, 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Winger View Post
Do they have risk assessments in the USA
Lee, TBH I am not sure but we have our own version of H-S over here called OSHA, Pro and cons for this government program. I will leave it at that.
easy-lift guy
Old 04-05-12   #19 (permalink)
Senior Member, User formerly known as kjames

Quote:
Originally Posted by gensetsteve View Post
I understand the idea is to make people aware of the risks on site and to prevent accidents and make the work enviroment safer. But I have come to the conclusion this week most of it is about creating cushy jobs for spotty faced university grads that dont want to do the work themselves get wet or dirty. The test of a good health and safety man is how much paper, grief and hassle they can cause for no good reason or effect Rant over time for a drink
I'v had it with them, there will come a point when we can't even go up the trees.
Old 04-05-12   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy-lift guy View Post
Lee, TBH I am not sure but we have our own version of H-S over here called OSHA, Pro and cons for this government program. I will leave it at that.
easy-lift guy
From what Arborists in the States have told me you don't have a quarter of the government intervention that we have................TBH our government the ''EU'' doesn't really want small businesses, so they put hurdles up, most small company's' can't afford a full time ''jobs worth/health and safety officer like the big boys, so it either hurts us financially or we loose the job.