Way too quiet!!!!

aob9

Work is incredibly scarce here in general landscaping/maintenance. If this keeps up I'll have to throw my hat at it......and if I get one more (potential) customer moaning about prices I'll throw my hat at HIM.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

know the feeling

We have over the past 2 weeks been getting contracts through for work for the year beginning september 2012 for us to sign(agree to). But they are all at last years prices.

How much longer before something snaps.

If inflation in our business (waste/fuel in particular) is running at I guess 4% how many years can you continue not increasing prices.

Perhaps its not 4%- I'm just guessing.

Diesel and waste are killing me too, insurance has also gone up. I'm now being squeezed from both sides and it won't be long before I'll be a loss making business. Add to that the absolutely awful weather and you can see why I'm moaning.

That's my rant for today, I'll leave it at that:cursing:

Edited by aob9

It's difficult- not helped by the recent unseasonal weather- imagine what the garden centres are experiencing

The money comes in but goes out faster-an indication that you either have to get more efficient/work harder or put up prices.

Hang in there- this can't go on forever. It was bound to happen(16 years without a recession) I think there will be an Olympic bounce.

Not too bad round here at the moment.

From my experience world cups and olympics tend to get more people indoors and not concenred with the garden. With the olympics being in London goodness only knows what that will do to the couch tatties? and lack of calls.

I would guess we will see an increase in interest once the final ceremony is over.

Till then we will just have to bid for all the worthwhile jobs and not be drawn into agreeing stupid prices too far into the future.

Good luck everyone.

Work is incredibly scarce here in general landscaping/maintenance. If this keeps up I'll have to throw my hat at it......and if I get one more (potential) customer moaning about prices I'll throw my hat at HIM.

I've got family in Cork, I could put a word in...

How about this then....

We turned up today to cut a customer's law, all pre-arranged and it's one we do every 2 weeks. Work mate went round back of house and was surprised to see it had already been cut. Knocked on door, spoke to customer....... and guess what....... the WINDOW CLEANER cut it yesterday afternoon! WTF!!!! The customer tried to blame it on old age, but when I mentioned it to me Mrs she said "Yeah, that excuse, playing the lovely little old lady card!"

How about this then....

We turned up today to cut a customer's law, all pre-arranged and it's one we do every 2 weeks. Work mate went round back of house and was surprised to see it had already been cut. Knocked on door, spoke to customer....... and guess what....... the WINDOW CLEANER cut it yesterday afternoon! WTF!!!! The customer tried to blame it on old age, but when I mentioned it to me Mrs she said "Yeah, that excuse, playing the lovely little old lady card!"

You should buy a chammy leather, youve already got the ladder, fight them back!

But seriously.... wheres it all leading.

Maybe when this country is bankrupt we can all learn Chinese then export cr@p back over there.

Maybe when this country is bankrupt we can all learn Chinese then export cr@p back over there.

We are seriously thinking about doing windows while we are there mowing. The barriers to entry are smaller for us, because, as you say, we already have the ladders, and we have long reach poles too. Barriers to entry for window cleaner to do mowing must be higher, but this cheeky chappy used the customer's own mower! My work mate is so riled up about it that I have a feeling he might just go and tonk every window cleaner he sees!

Mind you, looking at it rationally, I suppose if someone's a window cleaner, and their round is dropping off, and they have bills to pay and family, it's only natural to look at other ways of getting some income.

Yep, and while you're up there cleaning the windows charge an extra £90 for cleaning out the gutters every two weeks "Because them messy trees are a nuisance you know! Oh, talking about trees, we ought to cut them down while we're here otherwise you'll get problems with Honey Fungus and your drains".

:lol::lol: