Managing Damaged Beech

treeseer

I don't work with too many beech, so looking for experienced input.

1. Central leader broken out by ice 10 years ago, cut back to the first good nodes at the time, no sprouting since (shaded by itself and big trees nearby). lower lateral on the right has good vitality--

2. shows 2 sprouts coming off that end. lack of decay at the pruning cut is a good thing, but the degree of rot from sun damage was a tad disconcerting when i saw it after ascending on it with 200 pounds (10 stone?) of me and gear. shoulda shoulda painted exposed tissue with reflective paint?

3. is the ends, with 10 years of bird and fungus activity. Nectria cinnabarina i think are the red dots, but they are smoother here than on oak. K.d. following, don't recognize anything else. Is there is a tssm/tsse aspect that would inform management?

Presently the "dead"/non-sprouting leader has not rotted enough to incite safety issues. the client was displeased with the ugly factor until leaf-out, but I told her that cutting would accelerate decay, so get over it. I'm inclined to tether if/when decay leads to risk, as this is over their driveway.

Suggestions?

026.jpg.660c13b1ef25ccd22737d8a63201c641.jpg

024.jpg.cbbbe2cf60d752114cd82f5136b01777.jpg

018.jpg.511e7430b9d8a38e57909f18222f7e9b.jpg

017.jpg.6d7699bc1d9c9b3ae8145f7f9270a2b7.jpg

031.jpg.427b05debad6a84eee582effda5d7b8d.jpg

Guy, this tree is healthy the shading is going to be the issue in forced retrencments and why its so thin and not shooting well internaly. its a shade tolerant species and I like the reflective paint idea, a lime wash would have been a good solution and in keeping with beech ecology (lime loving) is there scope to halo?

More pics of the ends, with 10 years of bird and fungus activity. Nectria cinnabarina i think are the red dots, but they are smoother here than on oak. K.d. following, don't recognize anything else.

Guy,

The Nectria should be identified microscopically. N. cinnabarina is not very harmful, because it is not associated with necrotic bark or killing of living tissues and often occurs after sun scald. N. ditissima and N. coccinea however, are far more detrimental to beech because they cause necrotic living tissues, bark deformation and cankers.

ok thanks guys. N. coccinea and N. ditissima are rare here. "Neonectria galligena var. faginata" does seem worse, forming target cankers.

N. cinnabarina does move from dead branches to living stems, but i do not know if another pathogen clears the way for it.

hama, no way to halo without killing a fine q alba. lime wash, yes, gotta try that sometime. i'll be a couple years before revisting this tree again; busted their budget this time round. :blushing:

1. N. coccinea and N. ditissima are rare here. "Neonectria galligena var. faginata" does seem worse, forming target cankers.

2. N. cinnabarina does move from dead branches to living stems.

1. N. galligena can only be distinguished from N. ditissima (see my avatar for a photo of a 56 years old "exploded" target canker on beech) by identifying the species from the extremely rare teleomorphs and because of that, N. galligena is often mistaken for N. ditissima. Besides, N. galligena only is partically agressive on Malus and is considered to be a secondary parasite ocurring after frost damage to the trunk.

2. N. cinnabarina is restricted to dead or living twigs and branches and does not invade living tissues of stems.

1. N. galligena can only be distinguished from N. ditissima (see my avatar for a photo of a 56 years old "exploded" target canker on beech)

Ah, so that's the story behind that cool picture! :biggrin:

by identifying the species from the extremely rare teleomorphs and because of that, N. galligena is often mistaken for N. ditissima. Besides, N. galligena only is partically agressive on Malus

what about fagus?

and is considered to be a secondary parasite ocurring after frost damage to the trunk.

2. N. cinnabarina is restricted to dead or living twigs and branches and does not invade living tissues of stems.

well it does enter (recently) living branches, on several species, such as beeches and oaks--is there a particular pathogen that paves the way for it?

scotspine, the tree is 1' from the driveway, and about 20' from the garage, and 30' from the house itself. Risk of uprooting is very low--what does house location matter?

QUOTE : by identifying the species from the extremely rare teleomorphs and because of that, N. galligena is often mistaken for N. ditissima. Besides, N. galligena only is partically agressive on Malus

what about Fagus?

As I said before, as long as N. galligena is not properly distinguished from the massive cankers on beech producing N. ditissima, the cankers on beech can not be attributed with certainty to N. galligena.

QUOTE : N. cinnabarina is restricted to dead or living twigs and branches and does not invade living tissues of stems.

it does enter (recently) living branches, on several species, such as beeches and oaks--is there a particular pathogen that paves the way for it?

That's what I said, but you said before that it also invades stems. And IME there is no particular pathogen paving the way, in The Netherlands it's air pollution (nitrification) causing the weakening of the defensive systems of branches and twigs.