020 not running right

ukminch

Got an old 020 that isn't running right, starts and runs, but sometimes dies off as soon as the throttle is touched. Choke on and it will start, half choke and it runs etc.

Was gona put a carb kit in myself but it appears that these people do the rebuild for the same price as I can get the bits STIHL MS200 / MS200T ZAMA CARBURETTOR REPAIR 020 / 020T CARB CARBURATEUR | eBay anybody used them?

Also need a tank breather I think, looks a bit different to the one on the ms200 as that goes up to the carb, or am I missing a bit?

Cheers R

p.s Where do you use online for your stihl parts? Guy I used to use was brilliant but has gone rapidly downhill!

Its all very well to buy a rebuilt carb, but thats only part of the job. The carb will still need to be tuned on the saw. Great if you are confident to do it.

And of course, the problem you have may not be just the carb, you will need to check your fuel pick up hose for air ingress, your inlet manifold boot for splits and also your impulse line.

You may have poor compression due to a worn or scored piston, its worth checking that before you go too far

And if all else fails you will need to get a crankcase pressure test and vac test done.

Good luck

I'm fairly confident I can tune the carb reasonable well, not aswell as you guys but good enough for me.

I've checked the fuel hose, and the boots and all look ok to the naked eye. Carb kit is working out at 24quid which is why I was considering the rebuilt carb, based only on previous experiences of carb problems.

It's an old saw that I'm keen to say I fixed, if it was one i needed daily It would be going into a dealer.

I'm also going to replace the 200 I had nicked with a 201 but was hanging on a bit to see if the initial problems that were experienced by some were resolved... but thats another story

R

Carb kit doesn't take care of the accelerator pump piston if that's worn, so you could rebuild the carb and it still be goosed.

I,ve just done exactly that, should have just put a new carb on to start

Thats one of the reasons I was thinking about putting a refurbed carb on it. Not sure how good they are though at that price.... What is the accelerator pump piston?

R

It's on 020t not sure about year.

R

The 020 carb is more reliable than the 200 carb and does not have the troublesome accelerator pump. Its also cheaper than the 200 one at around £65 I think ( can check in morning at the shop)

i fit them to 200's to cure the problems.

Carb kits are way cheaper than £24.00.