Anyone fancy sierra leone?

RobArb

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Until fairly recently this country was one of the most lawless places in Africa, if not the world. I would be very careful about checking out the current situation and the level of banditry in the area concerned.

Then I would be interested once the company offered a wage comensurate with the job required/advertised - risk/short term contract/etc/etc

£2000 per week absolute minimum

Until fairly recently this country was one of the most lawless places in Africa, if not the world. I would be very careful about checking out the current situation and the level of banditry in the area concerned.

Then I would be interested once the company offered a wage comensurate with the job required/advertised - risk/short term contract/etc/etc

The job is for us at AEMG Ltd

Yep. :sneaky2:

The job is for us at AEMG Ltd

Have you been out to Sierra Leone to look at the work/work sites?

How safe is the local area?

Not too long ago the British Army had to send a large force out there to rescue a group of kidnapped British soldiers -- Operation Barras.

Yes the civil war /unrest is largely over, but in very poor countries where there has been recent unrest there are/can be kidnappings and or robberies.

Have you checked the FCO website:

Sierra Leone travel advice

Might be worth contacting a decent risk advisory &/or training company:

Risk Lifesigns

Global security company | Global risk management - red24

I am not saying it is unsafe, but unless you have a good knowledge of the local area, advisors and asafe compound to work/ooperate from, with accomodation., then you could be looking for trouble.

I travelled and lived extensively throughout Africa and can assure that unless you have done your homework you 'could' be walking into a hornets nest. However, with the correct advice etc, etc it could all work well and the team could have a great time. Make sure your guys have thorough up to date First Aid training, a bloody good First Aid and Trauma Kit and have practiced trauma procedures and rescue climbs.;)

If you need some one to go out ahead of the team to check it all out and pave the way, feel free to pm me!:wink:

Edited by Minotaur
Adding info

I spent 6 months in Sierra Leone in 2004. The whole time there I seen no trouble and was based mainly in Freetown. This was my last tour with the army and I really enjoyed it but just found the level of poverty the hardest thing to deal with.

Our armed forces are out there primarily to advise and train the sierra Leone army with the UN there to keep stability in the country. Also most contractors out there have security or bodyguards attached to them helping make it safer.

If I didn't have young kids I would be off in a minute as I loved my time out there. Beautiful country with some of the best beaches in the world and a great life experience. This was many years ago a popular holiday destination with it now trying to promote that again and with any luck will establish this again :)

Our armed forces are out there primarily to advise and train the sierra Leone army with the UN there to keep stability in the country. Also most contractors out there have security or bodyguards attached to them helping make it safer.

Its probably as safe as anywhere a bit risky now, wouldn't rely on the firms secuiry/bodyguards tho, theres some exellent guys/firms doing it, but theres also a lot of firms working the circuit that'll take anybody with a service number......

If it was a bit later in the year id be tempted!

R